• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Working on Karina's new home

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have the basic set up planned now that I have the tank here to work with. Mostly it's going well. I am having a slight issue though. I was told to restrict some of the screening on the top of the exo-terra (for safety and for humidity), by using saran wrap to cover up some of the screen. I am having zero luck with this, the saran wrap just will not stay put. So I am wondering if I used wide packing tape on both sides of the screen so that none of the sticky part of the tape is accessible to Karina at all.

I had to do that with her current enclosure, just because of the size of the holes on the current topper and because it was just impossible to keep any humidity with the huge topper. She hasn't gone near any of the tape as it is, but I wasn't planning on continuing to use the 'tape fix' with this topper because of what I was told about the saran wrap.

Any opinions?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what are you using as an enclosure? what are the dimensions? would the top fit in a large ziploc so that a small amount is exposed?
It's weired that the saran wrap is giving you issues. hm

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got it figured out, just took a lot of mucking about with the saran wrap. I have MS, so my hands don't co-operate sometimes lol. Here's a pic of her new digs!
034.JPG

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sure she'll be much happier now. There's even a decent sized hole in the wood (on the side so it's still very visible) that she can use to hide out in. I feel better now that she's in a proper set up :) And, now I have a 10 gallon tank for when I add a much bigger, terrestrial species to my collection ha!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sure she'll be much happier now. There's even a decent sized hole in the wood (on the side so it's still very visible) that she can use to hide out in. I feel better now that she's in a proper set up :) And, now I have a 10 gallon tank for when I add a much bigger, terrestrial species to my collection ha!

Let me be the first to suggest G.Pulchripes. The perfect Big T for a 10 gallon tank.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! Caden and I had a good time picking out the decor and setting up the enclosure :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Has she moved in yet? I love watching them exploring new homes. She must think she died and went to heaven in such a beautiful new home

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She has! She was super cooperative (again) when I moved her, no muss no fuss, just went exactly where I guided her. She went immediately to the left hand side of the wood, where she is shaded by the leaves, and hasn't moved an inch LOL. She's all stretched out and looks content there :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After all that work, she's decided she likes to hang out on the front glass of the tank lol

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At least she is not hidden away like an anti social recluse. She must be pleased with her new place.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am definitely happy that I can see her, and she's chosen such an open location (though I did have the tank set up in such a way that I would have been able to see her from almost any angle), it's pretty cool just to be able to see her without having to disturb her or move the tank :)

She ate another cricket tonight, and of course I missed the opening act once again LOL....she's currently got it in her mouth and working on it! Glad that she seems to have settled in well and accepted the cricket quickly. She never seems bothered either when I go to change her water or mist her tank either, so far she's pretty accommodating :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She does sound very sweet. My avics are very docile, solomon sits in his huge thick web most of the time. Herod and midas hide in there hollowed out logs with there cute pink feet sticking out. I hope you get to see your beauty queen catch her dinner soon they are so agile and clever

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love their pink feet :D I'm so in love with them now, can't figure out how this species wasn't on my original 'want' list hehe. Is it common for Avics to not web? Just curious because Karina hasn't at all.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only one of mine has a web the others just hang about and trip crickets over with there big feet. I think they look like camel feet close up. I have loved avics and wanted some for years but only had mine for a few months