• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Caught Arizona Bark Scorpion

sedge

3 Year Member
For Memorial Day, we headed to Tuscon, Arizona and stayed at Tanque Verde Ranch. We had a great time horseback riding, fishing, mountain biking and just relaxing.

The highlight of the trip for my 4 year old son was scorpion hunting. Somehow he had seen a video of scorpion hunting on YouTube before we left and asked if we could go scorpion hunting in the desert on our vacation. Prior to leaving, I purchased a black light flashlight off of Amazon for about $9.

Just outside our back door of our of villa, each evening, we were able to see quite a few scorpions. We caught one and put it in my son's National Geographic bug collecting bucket.

I collected sand, rocks, and wood from the area and brought it home along with the Scorpion and set up a vivarium. He's doing great.
e450fd92a9d72bc792fdf6f768c19d5b.jpg
a5e12e06c3eb848799daa9b1ad3a1928.jpg
3e1318bb6cab8401bc5b541166e0294c.jpg
442bfceaef5c4743494c1b32fc17b47d.jpg
adb55c3ef27b05fc7bff9cceaee09040.jpg
5e4b2e442915465bf75fbe39bd55bfda.jpg
191604b41485d1be80123a158e92079f.jpg
25efe52411bdcf6cb1d392852d1ca386.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmm, doesn't look like a mesaensis. It doesn't look like an H arizonensis or any C sculpteratus I've ever had. But the Centroides genus is known for regional color variations. Nice find!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My friend who lives out there says they find them inside the house sometimes. Ive heard bark scorps have strong venom
Most bark scorps venom ain't too bad. It hurts a little. The problem is allergic reactions and high sensitivity. Any serious reaction can be dealt with by a good ER doc, if seen immediately. Most people shrug it off though, with only local pain and anger being the common symptoms:) I find wasp and hornet stings worse than my local bark scorps.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's in Texas and Arizona..there are much worse bark scorpions in other parts of the world..
That's because you have been tagged so many times you may be immune ;). The venom description is "mildly toxic" which would indicate avoid a sting or go to the hospital immediately in my book.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's because you have been tagged so many times you may be immune ;). The venom description is "mildly toxic" which would indicate avoid a sting or go to the hospital immediately in my book.
Yeah, the only time I had a bit of a responce was when I had one empty his venom in my shoulder, rolled over on him in bed. I must have gotten all of it before I woke up yelling. Mild dizziness, lips went numb. Not too bad. They only sting when you accidentally crush them, or you're trying to tail them for collection. They're everywhere here, and will walk on your hand all day as long as you don't harrass or apply pressure to them. Always liked them.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, the only time I had a bit of a responce was when I had one empty his venom in my shoulder, rolled over on him in bed. I must have gotten all of it before I woke up yelling. Mild dizziness, lips went numb. Not too bad. They only sting when you accidentally crush them, or you're trying to tail them for collection. They're everywhere here, and will walk on your hand all day as long as you don't harrass or apply pressure to them. Always liked them.
Thats what I heard from my friend out in Az. They are all over the place. Maybe i should see if i can have one sent here haha.

Latest posts