• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White Knee webbing

Stat

3 Year Member
what's not to love? Firstly it's a genic and everyone knows I love genics, secondly, a genic doing a happy dance. My fave video for long while :)

some of my genic vids....

Cool vids like the music on the first one lol.

And yeah Konstantin just got in some of the roads home were 6inches deep in water lol.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
what's not to love? Firstly it's a genic and everyone knows I love genics, secondly, a genic doing a happy dance. My fave video for long while :)

some of my genic vids....

That 1st one is a weird looking genic lol
You trip(epii)ped up there!!! pmsl :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Cool vids like the music on the first one lol.

And yeah Konstantin just got in some of the roads home were 6inches deep in water lol.

I was furious going to work this morning in the storm. I avoided the main more straightforward, quicker route as it's been really congested with temporary traffic lights, so went the longer, windier more treacherous way, over a mountain and back down with a sheer drop on one side. 3/4 of the way to work and was flagged down as a tree had fallen across the road. Had to turn around go all the way back to the route I was avoiding, only to find out the traffic lights ain't there anymore aaarrrgghh!!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was furious going to work this morning in the storm. I avoided the main more straightforward, quicker route as it's been really congested with temporary traffic lights, so went the longer, windier more treacherous way, over a mountain and back down with a sheer drop on one side. 3/4 of the way to work and was flagged down as a tree had fallen across the road. Had to turn around go all the way back to the route I was avoiding, only to find out the traffic lights ain't there anymore aaarrrgghh!!!
best laid plans and all that can still bite you in the @rse!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That 1st one is a weird looking genic lol
You trip(epii)ped up there!!! pmsl :)
bugger!!!! wrong link well spotted ha ha

that should be right now. :)
and for anyone concerned about the male....he was fine after the camera stopped rolling and was able to rescue him properly.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you know if A genic is male or female ?
cant really tell without a moult but something I have noticed on the genics is that the white stripe tends to extend down the leg joint in females, males (when mature anyway) just tend to have the white band across the knee with hardly any white extending in to the leg joint. Based on that totally non-scientific assessment I would say more likely female than male. But please do not quote me on that, it's just an observation.
attached is a epic of 5 (out of 6) AF I have where you can see the white extending into the leg joints.
20200210_191452.jpg

....and here is a pic of a mature male (left) and my huge female. as you can see, there is no white stripe on the leg, just a white knee.
20191019_221833.jpg

@Stat am I correct in assuming yours is female?

Stat

3 Year Member
Only just saw this after making my post lol not 100% sure but the general attitude and her/his size 6/7 inches leg span and still being due a molt leans me to female and the frame also goes online with it being a girl. The next molt will confirm though which is hopefully soon going by the abdomen still loads of hair but clear changes in the skin colouration.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only just saw this after making my post lol not 100% sure but the general attitude and her/his size 6/7 inches leg span and still being due a molt leans me to female and the frame also goes online with it being a girl. The next molt will confirm though which is hopefully soon going by the abdomen still loads of hair but clear changes in the skin colouration.
I.am saying female 51/49 anyway ha ha

Джо

cant really tell without a moult but something I have noticed on the genics is that the white stripe tends to extend down the leg joint in females, males (when mature anyway) just tend to have the white band across the knee with hardly any white extending in to the leg joint. Based on that totally non-scientific assessment I would say more likely female than male. But please do not quote me on that, it's just an observation.
attached is a epic of 5 (out of 6) AF I have where you can see the white extending into the leg joints.
View attachment 43450
....and here is a pic of a mature male (left) and my huge female. as you can see, there is no white stripe on the leg, just a white knee.
View attachment 43451
@Stat am I correct in assuming yours is female?
When I bought mine, I asked for a female, it looks like I got a male, it has grown to near 7 inches and eats 4 jumbo crickets a week. I hope I am not over feeding it

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I bought mine, I asked for a female, it looks like I got a male, it has grown to near 7 inches and eats 4 jumbo crickets a week. I hope I am not over feeding it
If at 7 inches already then I reckon next moult you will know for certain as males dont typically get much bigger than that. You would certainly be easily tell from the moult (if not already hooked out) anyway and if you share a picture if the moult, I am happy to sex for you.
4 crickets a week is about standard for that size so you are not overfeeding