• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which tub should I put this A. seemanni in?

Matt300ZXT

Right now he's in his temporary home that's about the size of a shoe box and he's probably around 2.5" give or take. I know he wants to burrow from the research I've done, but this box from the seller is only about 4" deep and there's just a thin layer of dirt and leaves just covering the bottom, so no real substrate to hide in. I have 2 tubs, one is a 15.25x11.5x6 12 liter and the other is 18.5x15x11.125 30 liter, all in inches.

I have plenty of coco fiber drying out right now (don't know if I'll use bricks again unless I get a species that loves swamps) and a big bag of 100% organic peat moss ready to mix 50/50. I couldn't find any quality top soil at Lowe's, all they had was junk the guy said. I'm leaning towards the bigger tub so I can put plenty of substrate for him to hide in without it being too close to the top should he decide to jump out one day and latch on to my face.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A great enclosure size for your T, today, is an 8x8x8 cube, however A. seemanni will outgrow that one day but would probably not need more than a 12x12 footprint unless yours grows over 6"

Fill something that size 2/3 full with substrate, a hide and a water dish and you should be good for a while.
Be mindful of not leaving too much free space above the substrate, 1.5-2x DLS max climbing height.

I mix rehydrated bricks with peat moss and cut in some sphagnum moss and add some clean soil or sand.

If it's still too moist after mixing, put a 1" layer in a baking dish into the oven preheated to 250° and bake for 20 mins. Stir halfway through. That should help speed up evaporation but your house will smell like a nursery/coconut grove for a few hours lol

Let the soil cool before using
HTH

Matt300ZXT

Alright, I'll use the smaller one and hopefully he won't leap up out of the thing at me like a face hugger alien lol I just gave him a red runner, gonna see if he eats that thing and maybe he'll like me enough afterwards to tolerate a rehome.