• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What would be a good special snack for a T?

Volkswachter

When your T is full grown you can feed live pinkie mice once or twice a year as a special treat; larger species can also be fed small house geckos or something even larger, for example I have given my Lasiadora parahybana adult female a newborn quail chick on her birthday. Just be aware that your T will dump the remains somewhere in their enclosure and if you don't pull it out quickly it'll start to stink VERY quickly.

I have heard they like earth worms. Obviously you want to make sure its from a safe source, raised for feeding
Maybe look those up.
I looked those up a long time ago because you can get a lot for your money or dig your own. If I remember correctly, I decided to not use them because they normally are high in parasites. Slugs and snails have the same issue. I suppose that lots of people get by with eating them, but I'll leave that to the French. ;)

spidysoph

When your T is full grown you can feed live pinkie mice once or twice a year as a special treat; larger species can also be fed small house geckos or something even larger, for example I have given my Lasiadora parahybana adult female a newborn quail chick on her birthday. Just be aware that your T will dump the remains somewhere in their enclosure and if you don't pull it out quickly it'll start to stink VERY quickly.
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely not be feeding her a quail chick, as I would personally have a mental breakdown if I did haha. What about those chunky green worms that you feed to most pet frogs?

KatyAnn

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely not be feeding her a quail chick, as I would personally have a mental breakdown if I did haha. What about those chunky green worms that you feed to most pet frogs?
Those are called horn worms, and yes, you can feed those as a treat. All of my Ts love them (except for my slings, I dont give them horn worms) and they're great to use if a T needs some extra plumping up as well. I just make sure I get a variety of sizes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20201007_134154.jpg

"when I am able to get my hands on one" Hahaha. I am curious as to how one would possibly catch a wild pigeon lol.
It's about knowing the right people.
Down the street there lives an eccentric old lady who lives in a shoe.
She likes to hang out at the park and feed pigeons. I keep an eye out for the game warden. It's illegal to bait game when you are hunting.
Do you hunt or have family that does?

I feed my Goliath Bird Eater a pigeon when I'm able to get my hands on one.
At 11:23 is my T blondi, "Goliath Bird eater."
I had some issues with the neighbors when it escaped once.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At 11:23 is my T blondi, "Goliath Bird eater."
I had some issues with the neighbors when it escaped once.

Grammostola rosea "Chilean rosehair"...no Theraphosa in that film. ;) :D

Latest posts