• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to feed 1/4-1/2" slings

Will

Tiny crickets if you can get them. If not, get the smallest you can and pre-kill them. I've also fed slings that small a leg or head of a bigger cricket. I imagine they will scavenge quite a bit in the wild.

I've heard of people feeding tiny slings fruit flies too. Edit: flightless ones would be best.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tiny crickets if you can get them. If not, get the smallest you can and pre-kill them. I've also fed slings that small a leg or head of a bigger cricket. I imagine they will scavenge quite a bit in the wild.

I've heard of people feeding tiny slings fruit flies too. Edit: flightless ones would be best.
I'm going to have to look in to what the pet shop near me has to offer. I may have to mail order. Thank you for your help!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can prekill and chop up a mealworm as well.
Just takeout what they don't finish.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can prekill and chop up a mealworm as well.
Just takeout what they don't finish.
How big does the piece have to be in ratio to the sling? Like with snakes it can be as big as the biggist part of the snake.

Zurchiboy

Fruit flies. A small cricket. I wait till our pet store gets a delivery then buy them when the small cricket are still only 1/6 inch or smaller. Or prekilled

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fruit flies. A small cricket. I wait till our pet store gets a delivery then buy them when the small cricket are still only 1/6 inch or smaller. Or prekilled
thats not a bad idea for the crickets. I have to go to the pet store this weekend and ask about when they get their shipments of feeders in

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
If you have other critters that will eat crickets you can do large crickets also, pull the rear legs off and feed a couple as cricket drumsticks to the sling, feed the rest to the other critters.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've just fed my new little one (less than 0.5" dls) and it ran away from the cricket so I squished it with a pair of tweezers and now little T is chomping happily.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How big does the piece have to be in ratio to the sling? Like with snakes it can be as big as the biggist part of the snake.
I usually crush the head and snip them into thirds for the little guys. Half for the bigger guys.

Latest posts