• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do when you have a T bite?

Roo

3 Year Member
I was wondering if there should be a sticky or something up around this area, possibly detailing when it's a good time to go to the hospital to have a bite treated and what species you should just pack up and go without waiting?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was wondering if there should be a sticky or something up around this area, possibly detailing when it's a good time to go to the hospital to have a bite treated and what species you should just pack up and go without waiting?
I wouldn't go to the hospital for any of them, personally. There's no point really, unless it's one of the rougher old world species and you want some muscle relaxers. If it ever happens to me, I plan on just taking a fever/pain reducer like aspirin or ibuprofen and documenting it. It may hurt like a bastard, but it's not gonna kill me. For someone really young, or rather old, or with medical problems, it's a different story.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with MassExodus, only go to hospital/doctors if you need muscle relaxers (usually for OW bites), otherwise treat with anti-histamine tablet that contains chlorpheniramine maleate Ph.Eur. 4mg. Creams or tablets that contain anti-histamine are good for those flicked hairs.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:T:This is in jest only :T:

What to do in the event of a Tarantula bite,
  • 1) -reprimand yourself for forcing the T to feel it needed to defend itself.
  • 2) -check the T and make sure s/he is ok.
  • 3) - repeat #1
  • 4) -supply said T a meal as an apology for bothering it.
  • 5) -repeat #1
  • 6) -take a benadryl tablet
  • 7) -repeat #1
  • 8) -whine moan and complain about being tagged.
  • 9) -repeat #1
  • 10) -take pictures and post to the forum
  • 11) -repeat #1
  • 12) -console yourself by ordering several more T's

Short addition for @Enn49

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

• 1) reprimand yourself for forcing the T to feel it needed to defend itself.
  • 2) check the T and make sure s/he is ok.
  • 3) repeat #1
  • 4) supply said T a meal as an apology for bothering it.
  • 5) repeat #1
  • 6) take a benadryl tablet
  • 7) repeat #1
  • 8) whine moan and complain about being tagged.
  • 9) repeat #1
  • 10) console yourself by ordering several more T's
Ahaha. Perfect.

Roo

3 Year Member

• 3) repeat #1
  • 5) repeat #1
  • 7) repeat #1
  • 9) repeat #1

Needs a sticky XD

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

• 3) repeat #1
  • 5) repeat #1
  • 7) repeat #1
  • 9) repeat #1

It was in addition to your list of what to do if you get a T bite. Sorry about your mother, I hope it's not too serious and she's soon home again. Also sorry about pup.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It was in addition to your list of what to do if you get a T bite. Sorry about your mother, I hope it's not too serious and she's soon home again. Also sorry about pup.
Well, it's serious but we are hanging in there, pup came.down with parvo, she hadn't missed one set of shots, stayed up 24 hrs with her and still lost her.
I'll do a few images up in photoshop later lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, it's serious but we are hanging in there, pup came.down with parvo, she hadn't missed one set of shots, stayed up 24 hrs with her and still lost her.
I'll do a few images up in photoshop later lol

Well I hope she recovers.

SasyStace

3 Year Member

• 3) repeat #1
  • 5) repeat #1
  • 7) repeat #1
  • 9) repeat #1
hahahahahaha... excellent!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers, already on Co-Dydramol for my entire life so wondering how much it'll hurt if I ever get bit. Snakes didn't do much but then they aren't venomous, well not all of them.
I've been tagged by bark scorpions in South Texas many times, I've always wondered if new world Ts were similar...it's worse then a bee sting, enough to make you utter some unkind words, but not unbearable. I pick them up when they come in my house, but you get stung when you stick your hands under the lip of something to lift it, or when they crawl in your boots at night. People say they're very defensive, but it's only when you are crushing them on accident. I rolled my shoulder onto one in bed one night..he must have been stinging for awhile before the heat hit me and I woke up...in the morning my lips were numb and I was slightly dizzy, lmao. I must have gotten ALL of his venom. Unfortunately it startled me out of a deep sleep...he didn't make it. I regret that. But I'm thinking its probably comparable to some NW bites. Old world, I admit I'm curious how much it hurts, and how much people are exaggerating, or how much the experience would differ for me..but not THAT curious :)

N8tive556

3 Year Member

• 1) -reprimand yourself for forcing the T to feel it needed to defend itself.
  • 2) -check the T and make sure s/he is ok.
  • 3) - repeat #1
  • 4) -supply said T a meal as an apology for bothering it.
  • 5) -repeat #1
  • 6) -take a benadryl tablet
  • 7) -repeat #1
  • 8) -whine moan and complain about being tagged.
  • 9) -repeat #1
  • 10) -take pictures and post to the forum
  • 11) -repeat #1
  • 12) -console yourself by ordering several more T's

Short addition for @Enn49
I'm writing this down and sticking it to my fridge and over where I keep my T's lol love it

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Odd that not one respondent advised you to talk with your primary care physician ( Medical Doctor ). This should be discussed by anyone taking medications, especially for life, to know of potential complications caused by the type of venom and the drug taken. Just food for thought.

Roo

3 Year Member
Odd that not one respondent advised you to talk with your primary care physician ( Medical Doctor ). This should be discussed by anyone taking medications, especially for life, to know of potential complications caused by the type of venom and the drug taken. Just food for thought.

Painkillers wont be affected.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Painkillers wont be affected.
Agreed. People have different reactions to venom, but the only case ever recorded that blamed a death on a tarantula ended up being debunked, the guy was starving, dehydrated, and had several serious medical conditions. Third world countries aren't the best place to get accurate data. But if I had a kid with bad asthma, or someone in my house with a heart condition, I simply wouldn't own an old world species. Any serious medical problem, really, not talking about chronic pain or non life threatening illnesses. The very young, the very old, or the very sick are at risk, and keepers should definitely think about new world species if those folks live in their home. There's many gorgeous, interesting new world tarantulas. But people do what they want, in the end :) And who's to say they're wrong? You can get killed walking your doggy, yet there's never been a recorded death caused by a tarantulas venom.:D

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Agreed. People have different reactions to venom, but the only case ever recorded that blamed a death on a tarantula ended up being debunked, the guy was starving, dehydrated, and had several serious medical conditions. Third world countries aren't the best place to get accurate data. But if I had a kid with bad asthma, or someone in my house with a heart condition, I simply wouldn't own an old world species. Any serious medical problem, really, not talking about chronic pain or non life threatening illnesses. The very young, the very old, or the very sick are at risk, and keepers should definitely think about new world species if those folks live in their home. There's many gorgeous, interesting new world tarantulas. But people do what they want, in the end :) And who's to say they're wrong? You can get killed walking your doggy, yet there's never been a recorded death caused by a tarantulas venom.:D
Sound advice Mass :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I'm sorry but if my adult T stirmi gets me, I don't know what I'd do. The venom isn't that bad I've heard. I love how people say " oh it's not much worse than a wasp sting". Yea BUT a wasp doesn't have 2, I say TWO, 1" fangs and a lot of power. The pain and damage from a set of fangs like that could be bad