• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to bring as a buyer to a show

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I hope to attend the New England Reptile Expo (in New Hampshire) in about five weeks. I would like to pick up a T or two and supplies.

So I was wondering what to bring in case I do buy something eight-legged. Would a backpack (canvas or other material) work best? And what about cushioning to prevent jostling? I am hoping to pick up juvenile/sub adult tarantulas but slings may be what I end up with.

Also, some people have recommended getting to these expos early. I expect COVID-19 precautions may make the lines even longer.

For a buyer is a credit card preferred to cash?

Any other advice? Dos and Don’ts?

There is plenty of time for me to prepare and hopefully the show will go on.

Feel free to regale me/us with stories of your experiences.

Thanks,

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cash, cash and more cash is all you'll need. This is a personal preference here but I wouldn't feel comfortable attending a reptile expo right now. Here in NY they are usually packed and extremely crowded. You can get lucky and find a few gems but you will also likely see a lot of wild caught and Ts in poor condition. Keep in mind, especially with cash on hand that you can always ask for a better price and make sure to go around to see everything available before settling on a purchase. Be safe and have fun.
P.S: although I enjoyed reptiles expos a lot with my son, I am happier now ordering online from vendors and breeders I know ;)
Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cash
Credit cards
Cryptocurrency
Cash
A good styrofoam cooler, to transport spiders home in case it's really hot that day.
On the way to the Expo, fill the cooler with cash.
Buy your pals at TF a spider.
Bring more cash.
I'd like a coke, too

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am assuming most if not all dealers/vendors give receipts, but should I expect some that do not?

rosehaired1979

3 Year Member
I am assuming most if not all dealers/vendors give receipts, but should I expect some that do not?
If you do credit card most will do Square so you can ask for the receipt on the tablet, You can also get the vendor to hold your Ts while you shop around if you are going to be there for awhile to look around

rosehaired1979

3 Year Member
If you do credit card most will do Square so you can ask for the receipt on the tablet, You can also get the vendor to hold your Ts while you shop around if you are going to be there for awhile to look around
Some vendors might have bags there as well for you to carry.

Jenniferinfl

It might not be allowed at your venue, but, I like to bring a handcart. Something like this: HandCart

It sort of varies a bit, some really crowded events don't want you to bring those. I bring one of those and a roll of masking tape so that I can tape enclosures shut. I find that bringing the cart sufficiently jinxes the event where I could have just brought a bag. However, if I leave the cart at home, I find so much that I look like a pack mule going back to my car. So, to save money, I bring the cart.. lol

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Great thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next expo, which could be in a month. Went to New England Reptile Expo in New Hampshire this morning. Had a very good time. Picked up two Repti Zoo acrylic enclosures and a few odds and ends. I did not get any Ts though.

About 4-5 vendors with tarantulas, a few just spiders, some mixed with reptiles. Quite a few had curly hair (T. albopilosus) and striped knee (A. seemanni) in large numbers and for cheap $20-25 for 3-4"+ .

I went with a small backpack and gym bag. Good to have them but did not need both this time.

Jenniferinfl

Great thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next expo, which could be in a month. Went to New England Reptile Expo in New Hampshire this morning. Had a very good time. Picked up two Repti Zoo acrylic enclosures and a few odds and ends. I did not get any Ts though.

About 4-5 vendors with tarantulas, a few just spiders, some mixed with reptiles. Quite a few had curly hair (T. albopilosus) and striped knee (A. seemanni) in large numbers and for cheap $20-25 for 3-4"+ .

I went with a small backpack and gym bag. Good to have them but did not need both this time.

Yeah- I find similar. The shows local to me usually have 2-3 primarily tarantula vendors and then a couple reptile people who also have tarantulas. But, the stock varies widely from one show to another. So, one show I find like one solitary T I want, then the next show I'd need a small fortune to buy all the ones I want.. lol

prince charmless

One thing I plan to bring to the next show that I attend will be a small cooler with a flat bottom to spare any newly purchased critters as much stress as possible

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I had considered that too and may bring one if I go to another expo later this month.

timc

3 Year Member
I drive an 05 civic and one time I found an 18x18x36 zoomed enclosure at a show at an absolute steal of a price. Bro, I didn’t even bring the right car…

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I drive an 05 civic and one time I found an 18x18x36 zoomed enclosure at a show at an absolute steal of a price. Bro, I didn’t even bring the right car…
Lol yeah, that happens to me. But sometimes I surprise myself and come with the right equipment.

x_raphael_xx

I'm heading to a show soon and have a question please...
I have a little wishlist of T's I'll be keeping an eye out for. Mostly pokies, and maybe a G.pulchripes.

The show is about an hour from my mum, and shes a 4 hour drive away from my home, so I'm planning on possibly staying a night or two after the show before returning.

Would the potential new purchases be okay in their 'shop/travel' enclosures for at the very least around 24 hours, possibly 48? (I think a 3rd day would be pushing it)

I can make sure they are hydrated, and my step-dad has a warm shed where he houses his frog collection, so they would have a more stable humid environment before the journey home.

Or is it best to bring some ready made up temporary tubs, like the live food size plastic containers? I'm not sure what size spiders I will be purchasing, it will depend on availability and cost.
I'm thinking a smaller enclosure would be safer for travelling in case of a few bumps in the road.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm heading to a show soon and have a question please...
I have a little wishlist of T's I'll be keeping an eye out for. Mostly pokies, and maybe a G.pulchripes.

The show is about an hour from my mum, and shes a 4 hour drive away from my home, so I'm planning on possibly staying a night or two after the show before returning.

Would the potential new purchases be okay in their 'shop/travel' enclosures for at the very least around 24 hours, possibly 48? (I think a 3rd day would be pushing it)

I can make sure they are hydrated, and my step-dad has a warm shed where he houses his frog collection, so they would have a more stable humid environment before the journey home.

Or is it best to bring some ready made up temporary tubs, like the live food size plastic containers? I'm not sure what size spiders I will be purchasing, it will depend on availability and cost.
I'm thinking a smaller enclosure would be safer for travelling in case of a few bumps in the road.
Good morning my friend,
As long as the inside of the tube or cup your Ts will be coming in is not bone dry, they should be more than OK for a few days. Keep them away from direct sunlight and keep an eye out for any Ts looking like it is ready to molt.
Break a leg and happy spider hunting!

x_raphael_xx

Good morning my friend,
As long as the inside of the tube or cup your Ts will be coming in is not bone dry, they should be more than OK for a few days. Keep them away from direct sunlight and keep an eye out for any Ts looking like it is ready to molt.
Break a leg and happy spider hunting!
Thank you :)