• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what species

DOS1392

Hey everyone. We went and picked up a G.rosea from somewhere today, they gave us a mature male aswell, they said its a Brazilian white knee, but it isnt. We arent quite sure what species it is. Does anyone have any idea?

A few people have said T.vagans, some others say L.Klugi

We are stumped. Any help would be great :)

Attachments

• 20200711_160817.jpg
    20200711_160817.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • 20200711_160816.jpg
    20200711_160816.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG-20200711-WA0052.jpg
    IMG-20200711-WA0052.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 86

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd be more enclined to say L. Klugi as from the bottom photo the leg hairs look more pink to me.. Just my opinion :)
Either way it's definitely not a A. Geniculata MM, I guess the people you bought it from must have had it before it turned MM and thought it was a different species?
I've had that happen several times over the years with different Ts, one species has 'moulted' into another such as a 'B. Schroderi female' I had moulted into a T. Vagans MM... @Phil has him now and hopefully has some breeding success with him and hopefully he will see this post and offer his advice and opinion :)
Are you intending on breeding with this MM?

DOS1392

If We can get a definite species then yes hopefully it can be breed. Im sending it up to phil anyway so he can have a closer look for me :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Phil is one of the people that say it looks like a vagans haha. We didnt buy it. They were given to us :) .
I know you didn't buy it but I just wondered if you were intending on breeding or just keeping him? I guess if you are just keeping him it really doesn't matter what he is :)

DOS1392

I know you didn't buy it but I just wondered if you were intending on breeding or just keeping him? I guess if you are just keeping him it really doesn't matter what he is :)
O right. Sorry i muat have mis understood what you meant haha. Sorry. If phil can determine it then we will go from there :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Possibly Acanthoscurria chacoana mature male (if sold to you as an Acanthoscurria sp.) I did some research and Exoskeleton Invertebrates has one in his photo gallery. I'm almost certain that's what you have.

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Possibly Acanthoscurria chacoana mature male (if sold to you as an Acanthoscurria sp.) I did some research and Exoskeleton Invertebrates has one in his photo gallery. I'm almost certain that's what you have.
I think it's highly unlikely but not impossible that it is one of those.. I don't believe they are available here in the UK :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The "red flag" for me is that it was sold as a giant white knee. That is the common name for Acanthoscurria geniculata. Most of the time, when a species is sold under one genus turns out to be something completely different, it is usually a different species under the same genus. So, I looked into other Acanthoscurria species and the chacoana is what I came up with. That is definitely not Tliltocatl vagans. I have owned several. Doesn't look like any mature male Lasiodora species to me. Most of them are all super fluffy and not as "bold" as the tarantula pictured. I could be wrong as I have been before....but I have a gut feeling that's what you have. I also looked into Grammostola (iheringi and actaeon) but that's definitely not one of them. It's not uncommon for species like that to be imported from Europe. Probably a WC female had a sac and the slings were sold as a species by "locality". The mixup is not uncommon.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The last time I saw one of these for sale in the UK was 2017 from spidershop... They are very rarely available so many of the acanthoscurria are not readily available here but you could be right on this one :) let's see what @Phil thinks.... If it is I doubt he has a female of that species to pair with him? :(

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The last time I saw one of these for sale in the UK was 2017 from spidershop... They are very rarely available so many of the acanthoscurria are not readily available here but you could be right on this one :) let's see what @Phil thinks.... If it is I doubt he has a female of that species to pair with him? :(

Females aren't common here, either. It would definitely be like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd be more enclined to say L. Klugi as from the bottom photo the leg hairs look more pink to me.. Just my opinion :)
Either way it's definitely not a A. Geniculata MM, I guess the people you bought it from must have had it before it turned MM and thought it was a different species?
I've had that happen several times over the years with different Ts, one species has 'moulted' into another such as a 'B. Schroderi female' I had moulted into a T. Vagans MM... @Phil has him now and hopefully has some breeding success with him and hopefully he will see this post and offer his advice and opinion :)
Are you intending on breeding with this MM?
I have seen through whatsapp as me and @DOS1392 message frequently. I don't think Lasiadora species, and the Acanthoscurria option is very unlikely for a spider in the UK. I am still going with my gut reaction which is Tliltocatl vagans. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have seen through whatsapp as me and @DOS1392 message frequently. I don't think Lasiadora species, and the Acanthoscurria option is very unlikely for a spider in the UK. I am still going with my gut reaction which is Tliltocatl vagans. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

I would've stated the same thing but there's one thing that threw me off and it was the white bands around the legs....I've never seen/had a MM T. vagans with the white bands around the legs.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would've stated the same thing but there's one thing that threw me off and it was the white bands around the legs....I've never seen/had a MM T. vagans with the white bands around the legs.
I agree the white bands look to visable for it to be vagans? But I'm no expert lol just my guess at it?.... I think it's hard to judge unless the T is in front of you as things look different in different lighting conditions too... The problem is too thinking every T with a red butt is a vagans lol... There's so many that have red butts and they change so much when they turn into a MM - will look out for @Phil update on this :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't really see a distinct coloured band, I put it more down to lighting. Can see both sides of the argument though and even seeing in the flesh there could still be an element of doubt. T. Kahlenbergi was another of my guesses.

Clincher could be the size. If Lasiadora it will probably be 6 or 7 inches plus. If Tliltocatl probably smaller.

I don't recall size being mentioned.

@DOS1392 ....how big pal?

Latest posts