• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the longest your Tarantula has gone without eating?

Abere

3 Year Member
I'm asking because my M. Balfouri hasn't eaten in more than two months. She seems to be more scared of her food than interested in eating it. I believe she molted around a month ago inside her burrow.

Anyone had a situation like this?

Abere

3 Year Member
She is about 2", +- a bit. I'm feeding her large crickets, which she has never had a problem with before.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is about 2", +- a bit. I'm feeding her large crickets, which she has never had a problem with before.
Hm. Is she plump? She may just not be hungry. It's not unusual for any species to act, well, unusual. Its also possible there was an escaped cricket that hid, and she ate already. No signs of distress?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm asking because my M. Balfouri hasn't eaten in more than two months. She seems to be more scared of her food than interested in eating it. I believe she molted around a month ago inside her burrow.

Anyone had a situation like this?

I raised three M. balfouri from slings, and they always stopped eating during the winter time. I just checked my records, and one went about 5 months (December-April) without eating. During that time, they would remain pretty much buried and I would rarely see them. I kept water available and would occasionally try dropping a small cricket in to see if they were interested.

I've found that the smaller specimens get easily spooked by prey sizes that other species would have no problem with. When they were eating, I would always feed them smaller prey than I usually would for a tarantula that size. When they were 2.5" or so, I was still giving them small crickets; other spiders would get larges at that point. However, sounds like that's not the issue with yours. As @MassExodus said, it might not be ready to eat yet.

Latest posts