• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you do for a living.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm now on a disability pension, the osteoarthritis I've had since about 10 finally caught up with me but I'll list my 'trades' over the years.

After high school I qualified as an audio engineer and mixed for various bands before putting it on the back burner.
I then became a Fruit and Veg manager, both in supermarkets and private shops.
Then I studied horticulture and gained a cert 4 qualification in a couple of years rather than 4.
I worked in a couple of plant nurseries and had my own small gardening/landscaping business until my youngest daughter started primary school which I thought was my cue to go back to full time work.
I thought I'd better get my back seen to before going back to being a Fruit and Veg manager but after X rays showed that my disks were worn out and my back was bone grinding on bone the doctors wanted me to go on the disability pension.
Instead I studied small business management then opened a pet shop selling 'oddball' pets.
That went well for a couple of years (although my spine was bleeding internally) until a year of bungled road works meant that the only way to get to my shop was through the back roads even though it was on a major thoroughfare, by the time the road was opened properly I was in dire straights and applied for looking for work benefits, but I was deemed unfit for work and even unfit to study at collage so I had no choice but to accept the disability pension.
Now my idea is to buy stock from eBay and other sources and put together invert keeping kits to sell online.
In my state it's legal to responsibly collect inverts from the wild so the plan is to make money by camping in the bush and selling the inverts I collect along with the equipment needed to keep them.
I know someone who does just that, he advertises what he collects and posts them to customers while still on a camping trip. That sounds good to me so I contacted the department of wildlife and had my collection methods approved.

Oh, and since I was 16 I've been in bands, I sing but play guitar or bass if needed, a few times I've even had to fill in for missing drummers.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've got lots of hobbies, but the career that pays the bills is training animals for the film industry. I started in the mid 90's and I've been running the company for about five years now. If things go as planned, I'll own the company in another 3 years, and be able to retire in 8 years. Its fun. I get paid to ride around in first class and travel the world. Here at home we get lots of really good free food, good health care benefits and pension, and I get paid stupid amounts of money to play with animals. Not kidding. Its the only reason I stay in crazy Kalifornia. Well the weather and lack of bugs is nice too, but the politicians running this state, and the slim majority that keep electing them are complete lunatics.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got lots of hobbies, but the career that pays the bills is training animals for the film industry. I started in the mid 90's and I've been running the company for about five years now. If things go as planned, I'll own the company in another 3 years, and be able to retire in 8 years. Its fun. I get paid to ride around in first class and travel the world. Here at home we get lots of really good free food, good health care benefits and pension, and I get paid stupid amounts of money to play with animals. Not kidding. Its the only reason I stay in crazy Kalifornia. Well the weather and lack of bugs is nice too, but the politicians running this state, and the slim majority that keep electing them are complete lunatics.

Finally!!! Politicians and California! This topic is right up my alley, lol;).....shall we go there? Or save it for a rainy day?? :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Site foreman for a large excavation company in Oregon.
dixonville-wetland.jpg
slide-repair.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm burning with anticipation!!

If they want to be a sanctuary state, i say let em'.....but no more government benefits....completely cut the f* off the system. No more help. No more ****. Nothing. No handouts. No food stamps. No medicaid. No FI. Too poor to support 10 kids? Close your legs and stop having them. Birth control is free at health departments. Stop using your kids to live off the system (and yes, i do realize this is everywhere)....SOME liberals are ok. I didn't think there were any that existed but some are...for the lot of them, f* em' all. I can't stand em'. They need to get their **** together so Donald Trump stops setting fires to run the illegals out.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If they want to be a sanctuary state, i say let em'.....but no more government benefits....completely cut the f* off the system. No more help. No more ****. Nothing. No handouts. No food stamps. No medicaid. No FI. Too poor to support 10 kids? Close your legs and stop having them. Birth control is free at health departments. Stop using your kids to live off the system (and yes, i do realize this is everywhere)....SOME liberals are ok. I didn't think there were any that existed but some are...for the lot of them, f* em' all. I can't stand em'. They need to get their **** together so Donald Trump stops setting fires to run the illegals out.
I believe I just fell in love..

Latest posts