• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are your other hobbies?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been keeping inverts for around ten years now. I like animals more than people. That's not an exaggeration. I have dogs, cats, horses, and even a few baby cows at one time. I ate them. (They were delicious).
Anyway, I'm looking at new hobbies(no, I'm not selling my inverts, or leaving the arachnid hobby) and I'm drawn to fish and reptiles. Anyone keep these? I'm interested in hearing your experiences keeping these, or any other animal, and please be thorough in your reply. What are the pros and cons of keeping fish, reptiles, or whatever animal you have? Why do they bring you joy? Do you like them even more than spiders? Why? I'm branching out and I want to hear your opinions. Even you, @LC72uk. Why do you keep the dangerous ones? @Tortoise Tom why do you love turtles? Someone recently mentioned hedgehogs. Another person mentioned rats once, and got me thinking about them. They're supposed to be intelligent little farts, by all accounts. Let's hear it for your personal choice of pets. Care and handling, feeding, whatever you want to talk about.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been keeping inverts for around ten years now. I like animals more than people. That's not an exaggeration. I have dogs, cats, horses, and even a few baby cows at one time. I ate them. (They were delicious).
Anyway, I'm looking at new hobbies(no, I'm not selling my inverts, or leaving the arachnid hobby) and I'm drawn to fish and reptiles. Anyone keep these? I'm interested in hearing your experiences keeping these, or any other animal, and please be thorough in your reply. What are the pros and cons of keeping fish, reptiles, or whatever animal you have? Why do they bring you joy? Do you like them even more than spiders? Why? I'm branching out and I want to hear your opinions. Even you, @LC72uk. Why do you keep the dangerous ones? @Tortoise Tom why do you love turtles? Someone recently mentioned hedgehogs. Another person mentioned rats once, and got me thinking about them. They're supposed to be intelligent little farts, by all accounts. Let's hear it for your personal choice of pets. Care and handling, feeding, whatever you want to talk about.
Rats are fantastic to keep as pets Mass, they also make great Snake food:D.
Venomous snakes have always been by thing since the age of 9/10 when I caught my very first Adder UK`s only venomous species and it`s just stuck with me from there and as the years went on (Been a lot of them) I became more interested in the actual venom itself what it`s made of , how it works with the breakdown of all the proteins and enzymes it contains .
When it comes to it even I have to draw the line at keeping certain species . I won`t deal with anything from the Mamba family or Spitting Cobras other than that I am pretty much up for anything.:D:D:D

Pros Venomous Snakes are beautiful:):)
Cons Death:(:eek:.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like drawing (especially pets). some examples below.
20180821_095640.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rats are fantastic to keep as pets Mass, they also make great Snake food:D.
Venomous snakes have always been by thing since the age of 9/10 when I caught my very first Adder UK`s only venomous species and it`s just stuck with me from there and as the years went on (Been a lot of them) I became more interested in the actual venom itself what it`s made of , how it works with the breakdown of all the proteins and enzymes it contains .
When it comes to it even I have to draw the line at keeping certain species . I won`t deal with anything from the Mamba family or Spitting Cobras other than that I am pretty much up for anything.:D:D:D

Pros Venomous Snakes are beautiful:):)
Cons Death:(:eek:.
Nice to know theres someone crazier than me on the forum! Lmao. And I agree, I always found that ironic, that they can be so beautiful yet so deadly. I have no inherant fear of snakes, and non venomous ones are unmolested in my yard. Ya rats interest me alot, but unfortunately I have a very energetic murderer running security, namely an English Bull Terrier. She does not **** around. Any rodent like animal she spots is attacked and killed. This dog uses her head to bash doors open. She, and my brothers boxer as well, can open gates. I'm afraid she wouldnt tolerate a rodent on the premises. Not even an intelligent one. She presented me with a rabbit that had its ass eaten off this morning...

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Man I could go on for days answering this thread…

1. Obviously I love tortoises. They are easy keepers in climates like ours. Babies are best started mostly indoors with short outdoor excursions for sun, grazing and exercise. As adults many species can just live outside. Let them burrow in summer to escape the scorching heat, and give them a heated night box for winter and colder days and nights. Sulcatas are cheap and have amazing personalities, but they get big and destructive. Any of the Testudo species will do fine in your area with a little help. Pick a favorite species and we can talk all about it. Or go to Josh's other forum and talk tortoises all you want. Its similar to this forum, but quite a bit more active. https://tortoiseforum.org
  2. I think you are already a gun guy, but are you taking classes? If not, try it. You will be amazed at how much you don't know and how much your shooting will improve. My boss shot on the Army pistol team, and he had no interest in taking classes since he already knew how to shoot and shoot very well. I finally convinced him and he was astounded at all the mistakes he'd been making and how little he knew about defensive tactics. Inside of 15 yards, I'm faster and beat him every time. Outside of 15 yards, he's more accurate and he beats me every time. You will love it. I promise.
  3. Falconry. Got some free time? I already know you've got rabbits. There is nothing like it. Its a lot of work and a big time commitment, but it is extremely rewarding. Watching the birds do their thing, and being able to help them do it, is a life changing experience.
    untitled (238 of 334)_preview.jpeg
    IMG_4694.JPG
  4. Pet rats are cool. Clean like a cat, but friendly like a dog. I have malinois and Jack Russell terriers that all want to kill stuff. My jack was a stone cold killer of ground squirrels, rats and bunnies, but she knew the difference between our rabbits and rats, and the wild ones. My mal was my hunting dog last year. No problem with her and the pets. Your dog will know the difference.
  5. There are some really cool snakes on the market. I'm a huge fan of all things Drymarchon. Here is my latest. She's a yearling now, but will eventual reach 7-8 feet.
  6. Ava W: Star copy.JPG
  7. I've always loved the monitor lizards. Many different species to choose from. I was always partial to the big black throats and the water monitors, but there are some super cool smaller species too.
  8. Chameleons are another favorite. Fantastic pets and you already have the food for them!
  9. If you want an easy keeper and super tame animal get a Northern Blue Tongue Skink. Probably the best reptile pet there is.
    BTS.JPG
  10. I've been keeping my own fish and tanks since I was 13. Love them. Monthly partial water changes are a pain in the arse, but its pretty darn cool the rest of the time. Go big. Large water volumes are more stable and easier to maintain. I have a 135 in my living room.
    IMG_3798.JPG
I could go on and on…

What do you think? Anything sparking your interest or worthy of further discussion?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Man I could go on for days answering this thread…

1. Obviously I love tortoises. They are easy keepers in climates like ours. Babies are best started mostly indoors with short outdoor excursions for sun, grazing and exercise. As adults many species can just live outside. Let them burrow in summer to escape the scorching heat, and give them a heated night box for winter and colder days and nights. Sulcatas are cheap and have amazing personalities, but they get big and destructive. Any of the Testudo species will do fine in your area with a little help. Pick a favorite species and we can talk all about it. Or go to Josh's other forum and talk tortoises all you want. Its similar to this forum, but quite a bit more active. https://tortoiseforum.org
  2. I think you are already a gun guy, but are you taking classes? If not, try it. You will be amazed at how much you don't know and how much your shooting will improve. My boss shot on the Army pistol team, and he had no interest in taking classes since he already knew how to shoot and shoot very well. I finally convinced him and he was astounded at all the mistakes he'd been making and how little he knew about defensive tactics. Inside of 15 yards, I'm faster and beat him every time. Outside of 15 yards, he's more accurate and he beats me every time. You will love it. I promise.
  3. Falconry. Got some free time? I already know you've got rabbits. There is nothing like it. Its a lot of work and a big time commitment, but it is extremely rewarding. Watching the birds do their thing, and being able to help them do it, is a life changing experience. View attachment 31828View attachment 31829
  4. Pet rats are cool. Clean like a cat, but friendly like a dog. I have malinois and Jack Russell terriers that all want to kill stuff. My jack was a stone cold killer of ground squirrels, rats and bunnies, but she knew the difference between our rabbits and rats, and the wild ones. My mal was my hunting dog last year. No problem with her and the pets. Your dog will know the difference.
  5. There are some really cool snakes on the market. I'm a huge fan of all things Drymarchon. Here is my latest. She's a yearling now, but will eventual reach 7-8 feet.
  6. View attachment 31830
  7. I've always loved the monitor lizards. Many different species to choose from. I was always partial to the big black throats and the water monitors, but there are some super cool smaller species too.
  8. Chameleons are another favorite. Fantastic pets and you already have the food for them!
  9. If you want an easy keeper and super tame animal get a Northern Blue Tongue Skink. Probably the best reptile pet there is. View attachment 31831
  10. I've been keeping my own fish and tanks since I was 13. Love them. Monthly partial water changes are a pain in the arse, but its pretty darn cool the rest of the time. Go big. Large water volumes are more stable and easier to maintain. I have a 135 in my living room. View attachment 31832
I could go on and on…

What do you think? Anything sparking your interest or worthy of further discussion?
All of it is interesting actually. But you said the magic word, Northern blue tongue..I've been wanting one for awhile. Dave Jay had some wild caught ones that run into their burrows hissing when he comes into the room. Are the captive raised ones tamable? I want a lizard that acts like a pet, not one that hides from me or tries to bite. There's an amazing video of a tegu on youtube that runs to his owner and jumps in his lap. Its a big lizard, too. Funny to watch. So yeah, how is their temperment and intelligence level? Blue tongues I mean. Tegus get to big for my current circumstances..and I've always liked monitors as well, awesome critters. They have a very deliberate way of moving thats cool to watch. Like ancient dinosuars or something. Also too big.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've raised a number of tegus too. Awesome animals, but yes, they do get big.

CB BTSs are fantastic pets. Very tame, interested in what is going on. You can sit and watch TV with them. Kind of like a bearded dragon, but a bit more active and less "perchy". Mine would ride around on my shoulder as I walked around the ranch taking care of the other animals. At one point I was putting the monitor lizard's food in its bowl and my little BTS walked down my arm and started eating out of the bowl as I stood there. Fantastic pets. I highly recommend them. Super easy to set up, care for, and feed. I learned a few things about them:
Best substrate for them in a dry climate like ours is coco chips. I have a great source for these hard to find chips in Tuscon and I think they'd hand deliver to you. They should also have a humid hide box to go into. This helps keep them hydrated and helps them shed correctly. I just use a Tupperware type container with damp substrate in it and I make a door hole with a hole saw. Most of the care advice says "dry, dry and drier", which might be the way to go if you live in South Florida or New Orleans, but not in the desert where we have single digit humidity all year long. A 40 or 60 gallon tank with a regular incandescent bulb for basking on one end is all you need for heat and lighting. I set these on a timer. Room temp is fine for night. You can go as fancy as you want for food, but the top breeders and keepers in the country will all tell you: Pedigree beef canned dog food with some thawed mixed veggies mixed in, is the best and easiest diet. This gives them the variety and D3 they need, so no need for fancy UV lighting indoors. You can spend lots of time and money making up food mixes with ground turkey, veggies, and all sorts of other good stuff, but don't let anyone tell that is necessary. It isn't. That's it. So easy. 60 gallon tank, water bowl, humid hide, dry hide, basking bulb on a timer, and canned dog food. Couldn't be simpler. I feed babies 2 or 3 times a week and adults once or twice a week. I would pass mine a dubia roach just for fun once in a while too.

Here is a great forum to learn more: http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=06a5d4811c055aefc57560a035bcc22b

One issue is that they are seasonal, so finding one when you want one might be challenging unless you just happen to hit it at the right time of year. Breeders sell out fast and they are born in late spring. There are many types available and they are still importing some types from Indonesia. Be sure to specify you want only a CB Northern, and best to buy them directly from a reputable breeder. If you are interested, I'll put you in touch with my buddy in AZ who breeds them. He's a great guy and his animals are top notch.

Some BTS species are less tame, and WC animals would be a whole different story too. Even if I lived in the outback, I would go buy a CB baby if I wanted a pet. I'm betting you've already been watching YT videos and seen what I'm talking about here… :)

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All of it is interesting actually. But you said the magic word, Northern blue tongue..I've been wanting one for awhile. Dave Jay had some wild caught ones that run into their burrows hissing when he comes into the room. Are the captive raised ones tamable? I want a lizard that acts like a pet, not one that hides from me or tries to bite. There's an amazing video of a tegu on youtube that runs to his owner and jumps in his lap. Its a big lizard, too. Funny to watch. So yeah, how is their temperment and intelligence level? Blue tongues I mean. Tegus get to big for my current circumstances..and I've always liked monitors as well, awesome critters. They have a very deliberate way of moving thats cool to watch. Like ancient dinosuars or something. Also too big.
Up at my Friends shop, they have a pair of Argentinian Black & White Tegu`s , they are so docile they will sit on you`re lap just like a dog, can be hand fed as well. I used to keep Savannah Monitors the pair of them were like babies.
I prefer my Monitors to be a bit on the nasty side, I would love to have a Nile Monitor (No chance of taming one of these , lucky if you do) but a Lizard of 9ft , space is the problem. Red & Gold Tegu`s are pure evil and so expensive.
I was offered a pair of Gila Monsters the other week but at £3,500 I declined.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Up at my Friends shop, they have a pair of Argentinian Black & White Tegu`s , they are so docile they will sit on you`re lap just like a dog, can be hand fed as well. I used to keep Savannah Monitors the pair of them were like babies.
I prefer my Monitors to be a bit on the nasty side, I would love to have a Nile Monitor (No chance of taming one of these , lucky if you do) but a Lizard of 9ft , space is the problem. Red & Gold Tegu`s are pure evil and so expensive.
I was offered a pair of Gila Monsters the other week but at £3,500 I declined.
You are a glutton for punishment! Nile monitor??? Columbian gold tegu??? I wouldn't take either for free!

The Gila monsters are fantastic animals though. Great pets although they can be a bit inactive at times.

My Argentine tegus lived outside and they stayed a bit more saucy. They had very strong feeding responses when they'd wake up in spring time and I had to enter with caution. They have a giant gaping mouth when they smell food and they are coming at you! My Savannas were never all that tame either. Many stayed hissy, although they never tried to bit or whip. Some of my water monitors were truly dog tame and I would even go swimming with them when there was no chlorine in the pool. They'd go down to the bottom and park there, and it would look like a big alligator at the bottom of the pool. Sometimes they'd stay down there for 30-40 minutes. I had one that liked to go in the pool overflow when it was smaller. It kept trying to do this as it got larger and I found it funny to see its head and tail sticking out of the overflow slot while its ever-growing big body filled up the available space.

There are some amazing and wonderful animals out there in the world.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are a glutton for punishment! Nile monitor??? Columbian gold tegu??? I wouldn't take either for free!

The Gila monsters are fantastic animals though. Great pets although they can be a bit inactive at times.

My Argentine tegus lived outside and they stayed a bit more saucy. They had very strong feeding responses when they'd wake up in spring time and I had to enter with caution. They have a giant gaping mouth when they smell food and they are coming at you! My Savannas were never all that tame either. Many stayed hissy, although they never tried to bit or whip. Some of my water monitors were truly dog tame and I would even go swimming with them when there was no chlorine in the pool. They'd go down to the bottom and park there, and it would look like a big alligator at the bottom of the pool. Sometimes they'd stay down there for 30-40 minutes. I had one that liked to go in the pool overflow when it was smaller. It kept trying to do this as it got larger and I found it funny to see its head and tail sticking out of the overflow slot while its ever-growing big body filled up the available space.

There are some amazing and wonderful animals out there in the world.
I had a 6ft Male Iguana , he was as good as gold, as long as he`s bath was run every morning by 9.30 for him to climb in, if I was late he would have the Iggy strop all day. I just opened the viv doors and he would go into the Bathroom and get in, I just left him to it, when he was done he would walk back into the lounge to have he`s fruit and veg feast, he`s fav was peppered watercress, Bananna and Blueberries .
DSCF0086.JPG
DSCF0087.JPG
DSCF0090.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

CB BTSs are fantastic pets. Very tame, interested in what is going on. You can sit and watch TV with them. Kind of like a bearded dragon, but a bit more active and less "perchy". Mine would ride around on my shoulder as I walked around the ranch taking care of the other animals. At one point I was putting the monitor lizard's food in its bowl and my little BTS walked down my arm and started eating out of the bowl as I stood there. Fantastic pets. I highly recommend them. Super easy to set up, care for, and feed. I learned a few things about them:
Best substrate for them in a dry climate like ours is coco chips. I have a great source for these hard to find chips in Tuscon and I think they'd hand deliver to you. They should also have a humid hide box to go into. This helps keep them hydrated and helps them shed correctly. I just use a Tupperware type container with damp substrate in it and I make a door hole with a hole saw. Most of the care advice says "dry, dry and drier", which might be the way to go if you live in South Florida or New Orleans, but not in the desert where we have single digit humidity all year long. A 40 or 60 gallon tank with a regular incandescent bulb for basking on one end is all you need for heat and lighting. I set these on a timer. Room temp is fine for night. You can go as fancy as you want for food, but the top breeders and keepers in the country will all tell you: Pedigree beef canned dog food with some thawed mixed veggies mixed in, is the best and easiest diet. This gives them the variety and D3 they need, so no need for fancy UV lighting indoors. You can spend lots of time and money making up food mixes with ground turkey, veggies, and all sorts of other good stuff, but don't let anyone tell that is necessary. It isn't. That's it. So easy. 60 gallon tank, water bowl, humid hide, dry hide, basking bulb on a timer, and canned dog food. Couldn't be simpler. I feed babies 2 or 3 times a week and adults once or twice a week. I would pass mine a dubia roach just for fun once in a while too.

Here is a great forum to learn more: http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=06a5d4811c055aefc57560a035bcc22b

One issue is that they are seasonal, so finding one when you want one might be challenging unless you just happen to hit it at the right time of year. Breeders sell out fast and they are born in late spring. There are many types available and they are still importing some types from Indonesia. Be sure to specify you want only a CB Northern, and best to buy them directly from a reputable breeder. If you are interested, I'll put you in touch with my buddy in AZ who breeds them. He's a great guy and his animals are top notch.

Some BTS species are less tame, and WC animals would be a whole different story too. Even if I lived in the outback, I would go buy a CB baby if I wanted a pet. I'm betting you've already been watching YT videos and seen what I'm talking about here… :)
Fantastic information, and I'm definitely interested. I'm going to study up some more and I'll get back to you about your friend in AZ. I'm getting one :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a 6ft Male Iguana , he was as good as gold, as long as he`s bath was run every morning by 9.30 for him to climb in, if I was late he would have the Iggy strop all day. I just opened the viv doors and he would go into the Bathroom and get in, I just left him to it, when he was done he would walk back into the lounge to have he`s fruit and veg feast, he`s fav was peppered watercress, Bananna and Blueberries .
View attachment 31836 View attachment 31837 View attachment 31838
Lol that thing is huge! Nice!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just realized, LC said he was catching adders at ten. Lmao, like I said, I bow to your superior powers of craziness, oh great one! You ever been tagged? I know a state trooper here that got hit by a rattler. By the time he got to the ER he was crying. This big strapping fella said it was the worst pain he's encountered. Btw he's been shot. Twice. Lol..

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol that thing is huge! Nice!
He was such a good Boy. I lost him to a stroke in 2005, he was quite old when I rescued him.
When I went to pick him up he was in a 4ft Viv and he could not turn round in there.
He came to mine and had the run of the home, he would sit on the window ledge on he`s log all day long and when he was done he would go back into the viv on he`s own.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just realized, LC said he was catching adders at ten. Lmao, like I said, I bow to your superior powers of craziness, oh great one! You ever been tagged? I know a state trooper here that got hit by a rattler. By the time he got to the ER he was crying. This big strapping fella said it was the worst pain he's encountered. Btw he's been shot. Twice. Lol..
Never been tagged by a Venomous snake but had plenty of bites from other Reptiles none of them were mine. The only snake of mine that has bitten me is my Carpet Python, now that did hurt, that was like being hit with a sledge hammer, my hand turned black with the bruising and bled for ages anyone would with around 100 teeth embedded in their hand:D.
I am extremely careful when it come to the species I keep so I should never be bitten but as the saying goes "Never say never".

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Ok, so, I'm looking at skinks for sale, and they are now flooded with colorful, high end hybrids like the BP market. For gods sake, I saw babys for 200 a YEAR AGO, now I see them from 500 to 1500 each! @Tortoise Tom does your friend sell any regular ones for poor people? Lol. I like fire skinks too, I found those cheap..I'll be damned if I'll pay 500 for a pet lizard..let alone 1200-1500 for "sunset orange blahdy freakin dah" hybrids. They're not dogs ffs..not cussing at you I'm just really dissapointed and frustrated. I saw one for 500, the rest were 800 and up. And this was on fauna classifieds, where you can usually find deals..
I should have taken a $200 one last year..

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My buddy Jeff still has some. He charges $375-400 for the "regular" colored ones. He related the same story as you about very breeder calling them some sort of fancy name so they can charge more money. He's not happy about the situation. PMing the contact info to you. I've had one of his babies for years now, and I know of several other people that have them too. I'll vouch for the quality and how well he cares for them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My buddy Jeff still has some. He charges $375-400 for the "regular" colored ones. He related the same story as you about very breeder calling them some sort of fancy name so they can charge more money. He's not happy about the situation. PMing the contact info to you. I've had one of his babies for years now, and I know of several other people that have them too. I'll vouch for the quality and how well he cares for them.
Fixing to email him, thanks Tom.

Bananahead

3 Year Member
T's are my only pet hobby, (although I do have the most gentle and sweet Beagle on earth). It's more of an addiction really.

I do like to occupy my time playing guitar (formerly collecting them, too) and working on my 1991 Mustang Fox Body. Any other car guys/gals here?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I was going to do reptiles, I'd love to get an Ackie monitor & either a hognose or a false water cobra. I've had a few snakes before but that was when I was in my youth to in my 20s. The good thing is that we know much more about their husbandry now then people did back in the 80s and 90s.