• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welp I'll just wait it out and hope she just molting she was moving a few minutes before I took the

Rosawrath

20190807_184800.jpg
20190807_184813.jpg

Rosawrath

Never seen a tarantula molt before so when I seen her on her side like that I sorta panicked I wasn't sure if she molting or dying so I just left her alone... to find out she was just molting I feel stupid now

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Never seen a tarantula molt before so when I seen her on her side like that I sorta panicked I wasn't sure if she molting or dying so I just left her alone... to find out she was just molting I feel stupid now

Don't feel stupid. I've got a friend who used to keep a G. rosea. He only knew what the petshop told him. This was nearly 20 years ago. Every time it flipped he kept turning it back over. He thought it was dying. This happened a few times, until no movement from the poor spider at all. The following morning, he took the 'dead spider' out, then decided to empty the enclosure. He lifted up the hide, to find a larger, lighter coloured, thoroughly annoyed spider practising yoga underneath. And that is how he found out about moulting! Another testament to the stupidity of man and the sheer hardiness of the G. rosea.
The 2nd spider he had from this petshop was sold to him as an African Baboon. Turned out to be a Heteroscoda maculata! That's another story for another time folks!

Rosawrath

Don't feel stupid. I've got a friend who used to keep a G. rosea. He only knew what the petshop told him. This was nearly 20 years ago. Every time it flipped he kept turning it back over. He thought it was dying. This happened a few times, until no movement from the poor spider at all. The following morning, he took the 'dead spider' out, then decided to empty the enclosure. He lifted up the hide, to find a larger, lighter coloured, thoroughly annoyed spider practising yoga underneath. And that is how he found out about moulting! Another testament to the stupidity of man and the sheer hardiness of the G. rosea.
The 2nd spider he had from this petshop was sold to him as an African Baboon. Turned out to be a Heteroscoda maculata! That's another story for another time folks!
thank arachne haha a spider pun I did my own research on rose hair tarantulas the day I got her but that didn't prepare for it

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Typically, terrestrial Ts will lay on their back to moult but some do favour the sides of walls, usually when there is not a nice clear patch of ground to spread out on, or substrate a little soft. they use the force from pressing up against a hard surface to help them push out of the old exoskeleton.
Arboreal species can sometimes just literally hang from a strong piece of web and just push themselves out. I saw this with an avic. purpurea sling of mine recently.

Latest posts