• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vinegaroon - to heat or not to heat

Jacqueline King

Hey everybody, I've recently acquired a giant vinegaroon and as I'm head over heels for her, I want to ensure the highest quality of care for my new friend. I've received conflicting information about the enclosure temperature I should be aiming to maintain. Some sources say to keep it heated to around 80°f, others have said that no heat source is required (if I'm comfortable, she's comfortable.) any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My daughter keeps her vinegaroon at the same temperature that we keep all of our T's. Room temperature & that is doing well. The only things I heat, are my ****roaches, & that is because they breed faster at warmer temperatures.

testdasi

Hey everybody, I've recently acquired a giant vinegaroon and as I'm head over heels for her, I want to ensure the highest quality of care for my new friend. I've received conflicting information about the enclosure temperature I should be aiming to maintain. Some sources say to keep it heated to around 80°f, others have said that no heat source is required (if I'm comfortable, she's comfortable.) any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Room temperature surely.
The 80 F is a pet shop favourite because it sells more heating equipment without being outright lies.
Yes, 80 F is a decent assumption of temperature of the giant vinegaroon native habitat. They just conveniently ignore (a) it burrows so rarely ever exposes itself to high temperature and (b) their native habitat can have relatively large temperature variation so it has evolved to be hardy and adaptable to a large temperature range.

Latest posts