• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ventral sexing of T. albopilosus

clxwnschool

I've had my T. albopilosus for about a month now, and they rarely come out. I've been waiting patiently for a molt, but I think I'm still going to have to wait quite some time. In the meantime, I finally caught them climbing! I managed to get a really good ventral picture of them. I know ventral sexing isn't the most reliable and I'm not entirely sure if you would even be able to tell at their size (I don't have the exact size but they are a juvenile), but I thought I'd at least give it a shot. Does anyone have any guesses? I'm trying to teach myself how to sex better.

Attachments

• mocha1.jpg
    mocha1.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 244

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had my T. albopilosus for about a month now, and they rarely come out. I've been waiting patiently for a molt, but I think I'm still going to have to wait quite some time. In the meantime, I finally caught them climbing! I managed to get a really good ventral picture of them. I know ventral sexing isn't the most reliable and I'm not entirely sure if you would even be able to tell at their size (I don't have the exact size but they are a juvenile), but I thought I'd at least give it a shot. Does anyone have any guesses? I'm trying to teach myself how to sex better.
I vote female :) but I have been wrong before ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is a female. You can see her little mustache right above her furrow line and there is a clear opening. Book lung spacing also indicates female. :)

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
... I've been waiting patiently for a molt, but I think I'm still going to have to wait quite some time. ...

The "molt-a-Rama" season for nearly all tarantulas that originate from, or have become acclimatized to the Northern Hemisphere, usually starts sometime in March and usually ends sometime in May. "Outliers" may molt in late February and as late as June. Nonconformists may molt anytime during the year that suits them!

In the New World, this includes almost everything native to northern South America and northward, including your T. albopilosus (Central American), plus virtually all captive bred individuals. Wild caught Chilean rose tarantulas are a distinct exception, however. And the New World, Southern Hemisphere tarantulas other than roses seem to acclimatize quickly enough so that you normally hardly notice the hiccup.

Just don't bet the rent money on the exact date! Tarantulas have a habit of doing whatever they do according to their own schedule, irrespective of my rules. :)

BTW, it's a female. The epigynal plate is wide and of a trapezoidal shape, and the bulge is quite noticeable. A male's epigynal plate would have been more rectangular (parallel sides) and narrower, with the long axis oriented front to back.

The appearance of the ends of the pedipalps threw me for a loss for a moment, but I think that their seemingly clubbed shape is the result of perspective rather than the "boxing gloves" of normal, adult, male tarantulas.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your newfound little buddies!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The "molt-a-Rama" season for nearly all tarantulas that originate from, or have become acclimatized to the Northern Hemisphere, usually starts sometime in March and usually ends sometime in May.
I have tarantulas molting now. Out of season.
Is that bad? What am I doing wrong?

Latest posts