• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Use of skulls as hides and vanishing tarantulas

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've noticed, or should I say not noticed, that my H pulchripes has taken well to his new enclosure. I used a skull as a hide that was previously used with my Lasiodora.

The only way I know he still exists is that the feeders keep disappearing.

Would using a different hide such as a coconut shell or a half round help him become more visible or will he just get annoyed that I swapped hides and keep hiding 98% of the time like he's doing now?

Would just waiting until he gets bigger resolve the problem because he'll become more bold with age?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I've noticed, or should I say not noticed, that my H pulchripes has taken well to his new enclosure. I used a skull as a hide that was previously used with my Lasiodora.

The only way I know he still exists is that the feeders keep disappearing.

Would using a different hide such as a coconut shell or a half round help him become more visible or will he just get annoyed that I swapped hides and keep hiding 98% of the time like he's doing now?

Would just waiting until he gets bigger resolve the problem because he'll become more bold with age?

I have an LP that has a half-round hide. She's outside a lot and often sits on top, using it as a perch. It elevates her field of view by all of 2 1/2".
:T:

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've always used just pieces of cork bark so they can burrow under them if they want to. I never use tubes because once they get in there, there's always the problem of them staying in there and then you can't check on them, same would go for a skull.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I've always used just pieces of cork bark so they can burrow under them if they want to. I never use tubes because once they get in there, there's always the problem of them staying in there and then you can't check on them, same would go for a skull.

I've seen skulls in stores. I always thought those were meant for small reptiles. I can see the problem with tubes as some of those are pretty long. What I like about the half-round is that she can be in the back w/o pulling a disappearing act. She digs very little and spends about 83.7 percent of her time out of it anyway. Worx for me.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like tubes with pokies. Makes cleaning and rehousing much easier. I can lay a heavy wet wash cloth on the top and do all my maintenance. Rehousing I do the same thing but slip a piece of cardboard over the other end as I lift it out.
This. Tubes are fantastic for poecis for this main reason. They're mostly going to hide anyway, and this makes things easy on the keeper.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
This. Tubes are fantastic for poecis for this main reason. They're mostly going to hide anyway, and this makes things easy on the keeper.

Gotcha. I have no pokies.:(Maybe someday. But first I gotta get more familiar with my LP and A. avics b4 I take on any more project Ts.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The calmer starter pokies can be good second arboreals once you get your current Avic figured out. I've had few if any behavioral issues with any of mine.

As with many of the more exuberant species, starting with a larger sling or a small juvenile is the best way to go. That way, you can grow with your tarantula & you won't have to spend quite as much money to buy it.

Aside from my 4 B sabulosum slings, my P striata is my calmest tarantula. The 2 P vittata slings have somewhat different personalities with the suspect male being much more reclusive then the suspect female is. Still, none of them are mean or antisocial spiders.

Just remember, the slower you move the slower the tarantula moves & you'll be fine. Unpacking and rehousing the Ts should be done within a large tote within a very open area or a bathtub with all the drains blocked.

Other popular second arboreals are from the Psalmopeous species such as P pulcher for example. Either way, wait until you're completely comfortable with the basics.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Thanx for the insight. I really appreciate the help I've been getting on this forum. I'm not gonna get any more Ts until I'm comfortable (and more knowledgeable) about the ones I have now. It's a learning process and I really enjoy it. I have two questions if I may. 1) I currently have two A. avics holed up in their webs for at least six weeks or so. Only one has molted. It's been several days now and the molt (and T) are still encased in the web. Should I remove the web and molt or just leave them both alone? And will these webs and molts eventually be removed by the avics or what? And what about trying to feed them? Any advice about any of this would be greatly appreciated!

2) My LP is getting bigger (4") after a molt about two weeks ago. She likes the standard fare of big fat juicy crickets along with doobie roaches. I don't wanna over feed (as in power feed?) her if possible. She seems hungry as a buzzard. Is every other day too much? How about every third day? Twice a week? I just need some kind of guideline on this. Thanx.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At 4" you can feed her once or twice every two weeks, if you want. As you said, they have an appetite. So one large dubia every week wont hurt a fast growing, ravenous Lp. My spiders have always been plump, I just dont let them get obese, American style :D If spiders are in their web tube or hide, never mess with them, as a general rule. Just be patient and they'll start coming out. Eventually. I wait a week, minimum, for slings to harden up before offering food. The bigger they get, the longer it takes to recover after a molt. You want their fangs to be pure black, not white or reddish white. My old adult Lp took a month before she would start eating after a molt.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
At 4" you can feed her once or twice every two weeks, if you want. As you said, they have an appetite. So one large dubia every week wont hurt a fast growing, ravenous Lp. My spiders have always been plump, I just dont let them get obese, American style :D If spiders are in their web tube or hide, never mess with them, as a general rule. Just be patient and they'll start coming out. Eventually. I wait a week, minimum, for slings to harden up before offering food. The bigger they get, the longer it takes to recover after a molt. You want their fangs to be pure black, not white or reddish white. My old adult Lp took a month before she would start eating after a molt.

Gotcha about patience with the avics. I'll just leave 'em be. I waited a week b4 feeding the LP after her molt. I've read about folks that wanna feed them too much just bcuz they'll eat whatever you put in front of them. I think I'm in that group. Maybe I can video her pouncing on a doobie, then just do a daily replay of it to satisfy myself. I love to see her go after food but I need to get over the feeling that I'm starving her when I'm not. Sure don't wanna get her obese American-style! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts