• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unusual behaviour

shaun

3 Year Member
My avic has gone down to the ground and sat there all day. I have seen him near the ground, on the cork bark for a couple of days, I thought maybe he was going down for a drink.
Just concerned, don't know if he is moulting or dead. He is not upside down but also isn't curled up. Maybe I need to wait and see but I am a concerned dad!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am no expert, but I believe the low to the ground position is their hunting position. So has he gone even lower & thus on to the substrate looking for food? I have heard of juvies being on the substrate for a few hours, but it's not normal behaviour, from what I know.

shaun

3 Year Member
I am no expert, but I believe the low to the ground position is their hunting position. So has he gone even lower & thus on to the substrate looking for food? I have heard of juvies being on the substrate for a few hours, but it's not normal behaviour, from what I know.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Hopefully he moults or makes a move. Do they sit for a long time before moulting?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How long has it been on the ground? Avics don't go to the ground to moult or feed they do that up in there enclosure - do you have plenty of cross ventilation and a water dish?

shaun

3 Year Member
Hope this is visible

Attachments

• 20200320_231322.jpg
    20200320_231322.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I lost an A. versacolor within a few weeks or receiving it a few years back. It was heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss :(

shaun

3 Year Member
Cheers, have now lost a couple of pink toes.
One was in a massive exo terra. Was advised to try a smaller one. They look lovely but not convinced that they are suitable for t's

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Now I'm concerned about our pink toe...

Our sling is about 2" and lives in a 4x4x7 amac with holes drilled all around and in the lid:
IMG_20200322_180346.jpg

The enclosure is in our micro-climat where ambient temps are about 7-80° F and I keep it's water dish full with an eye dropper through a hole in the lid and spray the water dish side once a week.

Since webbing itself into a corner, literally, it doesn't roam much and eats at every feeding, a large cricket every 3 days.

Sorry for potential hijack

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
As you haven't had a reply from an Avic keeper yet, I thought I'd say I don't keep Avics yet but from what I've learnt about them it sounds like yours is doing ok, as it is in its webbing and eating.
When they are not healthy they tend to go down to ground and huddle up on the substrate.

The only thing I would do differently is move the enclosure a few more inches away from the one next to it, to allow the free flow of air.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As you haven't had a reply from an Avic keeper yet, I thought I'd say I don't keep Avics yet but from what I've learnt about them it sounds like yours is doing ok, as it is in its webbing and eating.
When they are not healthy they tend to go down to ground and huddle up on the substrate.

The only thing I would do differently is move the enclosure a few more inches away from the one next to it, to allow the free flow of air.

Thanks for your reply

The enclosure is in a micro climate which is basically a small glass tank with a heating pad on one side and a loose-fitting lid with about an inch open on each end.

Ambient temp in there is between 74-80°F. Not sure how much airflow there is in there but there's is probably more than the cabinet the slings were in at the LPS

Now I'm more worried than before lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not really. A lot of care sheets are lazy research and will say ground temperatures and humidity but ignore that they live in trees and temperatures are cooler. They’ll be fine :)

Appreciated and considered

Latest posts