• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unusual behavior

nyteovvl

I recently asked if curly haireds hibernate. She webbed herself in to her home and didnt feed or come out for almost 1 and a half months. She recently came out and dug a pit and webbed it up. Its on the half of the tank where I have heat mat. It gets chilly in my room in the winter so I turned it on for the season. Shes dug down to the base of the tank and the heat is still on. Is this behavior ok? I want to feed her but Im worried she may be readying for a molt. Any input?
20200503_205328.jpg

Soulman

That's normal behavior,reading your post.But yes please remove the heatmat.your not the only person to think of giving a heatmat.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If that the heat mat behind her? As octanejunkie said digging to escape heat is a natural thing for a sling to do. They are use to the heat coming from above. (The Sun.) So when it is hot, they dig to escape the heat. But if the heat mat is beneath them, they end up digging into even hotter conditions & it is far from uncommon. Sadly. For T's to cook to death when heat mats are under their enclosure.

One of my T albopilosum's moved some substrate out from under her half flower pot & then webbed herself in. A few weeks later she popped out for a few days & then went back for a few weeks more. When she came out the second time it was permanently & a week or two later she molted. T's burrowing & then webbing themselves in for weeks at a time is perfectly normal.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry just noticed. That should be. IS that heat mat behind her. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

nyteovvl

Yes, the mat was under half of the tank. Thinking they came from warmer climates, the chilly room in winter may be uncomfortable for her. Its unplugged now. Your T's behavior is EXACTLY what mine did. I have a hollowed out half log turned over. ( like an airplane hangar). I had to change the bedding (too many mealworm escapees grew into beetles). A day or two later she walled herself in. Came out about 3 or 4 weeks later then went back in for another 3 or so weeks. She then comes out and digs the pit with all the webbing around it holding more substrate. It just seemed unusual since I have had her for nearly a year and she didn't do that before even when she molted last july.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That hollowed out half log is not pine is it? Often pet shops sell hollowed out pine half logs & pine contains a natural insecticide. If you google pine you will find lots of different groups saying pine has harmed, even killed their pets. Especially when it comes to Rabbits & Guinea Pigs.

If you have a reptile shop locally get some Cork Bark, it is what most of us use. I have a tall hollow cork bark tube for my Avic avic & a huge half moon, like your aircraft type hanger, of cork bark for my T stirmie & some smaller arches of cork bark for smaller species.

With the heat mat, stick it to the back or side of the enclosure, if you feel that you need extra warmth. Like that your T has some space to get away from the warmth if they want to.

nyteovvl

That hollowed out half log is not pine is it? Often pet shops sell hollowed out pine half logs & pine contains a natural insecticide. If you google pine you will find lots of different groups saying pine has harmed, even killed their pets. Especially when it comes to Rabbits & Guinea Pigs.

If you have a reptile shop locally get some Cork Bark, it is what most of us use. I have a tall hollow cork bark tube for my Avic avic & a huge half moon, like your aircraft type hanger, of cork bark for my T stirmie & some smaller arches of cork bark for smaller species.

With the heat mat, stick it to the back or side of the enclosure, if you feel that you need extra warmth. Like that your T has some space to get away from the warmth if they want to.

The hollowed out log is from zoomed. I got it from the reptile section of a large pet store. It seemed like a good choice for a house. I dont know what zoomed uses for those reptile houses.

Latest posts