• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Underweight?

Mean.uwu

Hi everyone, I just have a few questions over how you can tell if a spider is underweight.
(I don't know if this is the right catagory for the thread either)

I have a red rump (I'm not sure if Mexican or Brazilian etc.) and she (assumed female but I haven't personally verified) is fed a cricket once a week. I don't usually miss feeds but she moulted (so wasn't eating) and then for a few weeks out pet store has had delays in delivery, dead crickets, etc. So she hasn't eaten for a a while, I know they can usually go some time without food but she seems much skinner now.
She has eaten these past 2 weeks but I'm wondering whether I should be feeding her more often or if she'll fill back out over time.
Is there any way to tell if shes underweight?
I don't have a clear pic of her right now since she's been antsy and hiding whenever I try to get one

16326887562847407984294457889134.jpg

It's not that clear but there's this, she used to be much fuller and wider in the abdomen.
I just want to make sure she's okay, if it's natural then I'll leave her to it but if it's not and there's anything I can do please let me know.
I want to make sure she's living a good life :)

Thanls for you're time and help

x_raphael_xx

She looks a little thin to me. General rule of thumb is butt should be similar size to the carapace. I would increase the feeds to maybe 2/3 times a week until she fills out. She looks kinda big for just one cricket a week.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not a good photo for asking of visual help. Are you scared to take the lid off the enclosure? Female tarantulas in the wild wait in or in front of their burrow waiting for prey. It could be weeks to months before something walks by. I feed my redrumps one large meal (one hisser or two large dubia) once a month.
Here's a photo of a healthy mature female redrump.
Tliltocatl sabulosum "Guatemalen redrump"
20180310_090434.jpg

Mean.uwu

Wasn't afraid of opening the lid she's just been hiding the last few times I tried to get a shot
IMG_20210927_070657.jpg
IMG_20210927_071200.jpg
Are these any better?
They are at akward angles

Tarantulafeets

The abdomens of tarantulas in the wild can get smaller, as @Arachnoclown said, it can take a long while for food to come by. There is no general size tarantula's abdomens should be, a big or small abdomen doesn't mean it is unhealthy.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That spider looks perfectly healthy to me

I'll just leave this here for your consideration

Mean.uwu

That spider looks perfectly healthy to me

I'll just leave this here for your consideration
Thank you so much, that's actually very helpful. Do you have any links to looking out for hungry behavior? I have noticed the water attacking one but I was wondering if there are more I should be aware of.
Thank you again :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you so much, that's actually very helpful. Do you have any links to looking out for hungry behavior? I have noticed the water attacking one but I was wondering if there are more I should be aware of.
Thank you again :)
Read the posts in that link, there are behavior queues mentioned