• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Underfeed vs overfeed

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am happy to share my observations, and philosophies, accumulated from keeping and feeding tarantulas in re feeding frequency.

If you read no further; less is more when it comes to feeding tarantulas.

Tarantulas are wild animals, they are not domesticated, and like most animals are opportunistic eaters. Animals in real life don't eat on a schedule like we do, and certainly not every day. Your tarantula will let you know when it's hungry, you just need to know the signs.

The pet industry is a 20 billion dollar a year juggernaut, and based on inventive and emotional marketing, we've been told our whole lives that our pets need to eat on a recurring schedule just like us. The more often they eat, the more money Big Pet makes. There are more overweight pets in first world countries like America and England than any other country in the world.

If you would randomly feed your dog and cat versus feeding them on a once to twice a day schedule, they would be healthier, live longer and not be "dying to eat" by X-o' clock every day. We have trained our animals to be as dependent on food as we are on their success. It's an emotional connection for us and we feel successful, and responsible, when we "meet" our animals needs. The needs that Big Pet tells us we should be meeting.

Skipping back to tarantulas, it's not unusual for an opportunistic eater to not see a food item for several days, or weeks, depending on their endemic circumstances. As long as you provide water, I guarantee you your tarantula can live for 2 months with no food. I am not intentionally telling you to skip feeding your animals and put them on a whenever you feel like it's schedule, but this is proof that less is often more.

If I forget to feed my slings for a week or two, they're more enthusiastic to receive a food item when I do feed them; however, if I feed them every 3 days they often could care less about the feeder wandering in their enclosure.

Feeding less often has these basic benefits:
1. Your T is much more enthusiastic about eating
2. Unless in premolt, your T is guaranteed to feed and eat the entire meal (if appropriately sized)
3. Your T will put on less weight and take longer in between molt cycles
4. Based on number 3 above, your T will live longer
5. Feeding less often requires you to purchase or maintain fewer feeders, saving you money
6. Feeding less often is a time benefit for you
7. Based on number 6 above, the time you save feeding and cleaning enclosures, due to excessive waste or rotting food items due to overfeeding, will allow you to spend more time with your family, increasing your quality of life
8. Based on points 4 through 7, you will enjoy owning your pets longer, and with less hassle, making the experience more rewarding overall
9. If we all took a page from this book, we would be less obese as a society, too. I guarantee you most of us reading (and writing) this post could afford to miss a meal or two a week and we would all be just fine.

There are often circumstances where people will want to power feed animals to get them to a certain point, or through a certain growth stage, and there's potentially a time and a place for that, too, however on the regular, less is more.

Last edited by a moderator:

CritterKeeper79

Looks like a bunch of logical thinking to me. I feed once a week even slings and haven’t had issues. Some like my tiny pumpkin patch eats one large meal. Because it’s hard to cut up a piece small enough. So I kill a small cricket and leave it with her overnight. Usually the next morning it’s eaten over half of it and looks quite full, I remove the carcass and it’s good until next molt. Thank you for affirmation, that most of what I’m doing is okay, even though my success in no complications is showing that. It’s always good to get more experienced keeper confirmation.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here is @WolfSpider dropping knowledge

Overfeeding slings is dangerous for the sling. If overfed, Prekilled meals will cause rot and stagnation, often a sling killer. Small crickets will feast on a sling entering its molt cycle. If there is any doubt, don't feed, or observe for 10 mins. If no prey takedown, remove it and try again next week.

timc

3 Year Member
I can testify the truth of #3. In 12 years keeping I have had exactly one tarantula that refuses food while not in premolt. I’m just now keeping Aphonopelma slings, so it’s very possible that number goes up, but the guilty party is Brachypelma albiceps, whom I’m convinced just a rock with funny leg shapes.
But I don’t have a feeding schedule for any of my tarantulas. I generally go by abdomen size and look for them to tell me they’re hungry: feet sticking out of the burrow/web, attacking water, etc...
I’ve raised a handful of brachypelma/tlitlcotl, a couple Grammostola, and currently a couple other slow growing genus. Forget the last time they ate, and they’ll always be hungry.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am happy to share my observations, and philosophies, accumulated from keeping and feeding tarantulas in re feeding frequency.

Tarantulas are wild animals, they are not domesticated, and like most animals are opportunistic eaters. Animals in real life don't eat on a schedule like we do, and certainly not every day. Your tarantula will let you know when it's hungry, you just need to know the signs.

The pet industry is a 20 billion dollar a year juggernaut, and based on inventive and emotional marketing, we've been told our whole lives that our pets need to eat on a recurring schedule just like us. The more often they eat, the more money Big Pet makes. There are more overweight pets in first world countries like America and England than any other country in the world.

If you would randomly feed your dog and cat versus feeding them on a once to twice a day schedule, they would be healthier, live longer and not be "dying to eat" by X-o' clock every day. We have trained our animals to be as dependent on food as we are on their success. It's an emotional connection for us and we feel successful, and responsible, when we "meet" our animals needs. The needs that Big Pet tells us we should be meeting.

Skipping back to tarantulas, it's not unusual for an opportunistic eater to not see a food item for several days, or weeks, depending on their endemic circumstances. As long as you provide water, I guarantee you your tarantula can live for 2 months with no food. I am not intentionally telling you to skip feeding your animals and put them on a whenever you feel like it's schedule, but this is proof that less is often more.

If I forget to feed my slings for a week or two, they're more enthusiastic to receive a food item when I do feed them; however, if I feed them every 3 days they often could care less about the feeder wandering in their enclosure.

2. Unless in premolt, your T is guaranteed to feed and eat the entire meal (if appropriately sized)
5. Feeding less often requires you to purchase or maintain fewer feeders, saving you money
7. Based on number 6 above, the time you save feeding and cleaning enclosures, due to excessive waste or rotting food items due to overfeeding, will allow you to spend more time with your family, increasing your quality of life
8. Based on points 4 through 7, you will enjoy owning your pets longer, and with less hassle, making the experience more rewarding overall
9. If we all took a page from this book, we would be less obese as a society, too. I guarantee you most of us reading (and writing) this post could afford to miss a meal or two a week and we would all be just fine.

There are often circumstances where people will want to power feed animals to get them to a certain point, or through a certain growth stage, and there's potentially a time and a place for that, too, however on the regular, less is more.
So many words!!!!

Kazegal

Thanks for the post! I only buy feeders once per month and then feed them during that one week. I have a dubia collection at my disposal for emergency feedings and keep some meal worms around (as those live long). Haven't had any issues. I see my pet holes more frequently as they sit at the entrance in wait.

I have had some sling deaths from rotting prekilled prey items which is something I will have to watch more closely.

There are often circumstances where people will want to power feed animals to get them to a certain point, or through a certain growth stage, and there's potentially a time and a place for that, too, however on the regular, less is

Thanks friend for tip. You made my day as earlier... I am really worried of not feeding them regularly. Depending on their size, I will feed them at least one a week. By the way, is it good to judge that feeding is needed when their abdomen getting smaller than before ? Anyhow, the will always be water dish in their enclosure :)

Looks like a bunch of logical thinking to me. I feed once a week even slings and haven’t had issues. Some like my tiny pumpkin patch eats one large meal. Because it’s hard to cut up a piece small enough. So I kill a small cricket and leave it with her overnight. Usually the next morning it’s eaten over half of it and looks quite full, I remove the carcass and it’s good until next molt. Thank you for affirmation, that most of what I’m doing is okay, even though my success in no complications is showing that. It’s always good to get more experienced keeper confirmation.
Yeap friend. Experience keepers will always provide us a good tip for our guidance :) .

TheInv4sion

When I get "burnt out" from the hobby I tend to cut back feedings dramatically and then when I get more enthusiastic I feed more often. Haven't noticed any ill effects so I definitely agree that feeding less often is a solid idea.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Overfed internal rupture...thought this would be a good place to drop this.
IMG_3270.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks for this detailed info. I have been more careful to not over-feed since Allegro got fat!

We did used to have a feeding schedule, then we had a different one, and then we threw it out of the window ;) So now most of them are fed randomly. The only ones I feed on the same day every week are those who are really skinny after a moult, slings that are not yet eating live food, or those that are hidden long-term and I can't tell whether they need food or not.

However what about when they keep pouncing at you through the plastic? :p I assume they are mistaking my movement for food. I have a few who do this and they are already looking a healthy weight - if I gave them much more they'd be overweight.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
However what about when they keep pouncing at you through the plastic? :p I assume they are mistaking my movement for food. I have a few who do this and they are already looking a healthy weight - if I gave them much more they'd be overweight.
Just because they react to movement doesnt mean they are hungry. The size of.the abdomen tells all.

Also, keep in mind some Ts physiology tends towards slender booties, like arboreals, specifically males, and some old worlds.

I have an OBT that will attack anything that enters her enclosure. I found a small cache of dead crickets at the bottom of her burrow; stockpiling or hiding bodies?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for this detailed info. I have been more careful to not over-feed since Allegro got fat!

We did used to have a feeding schedule, then we had a different one, and then we threw it out of the window ;) So now most of them are fed randomly. The only ones I feed on the same day every week are those who are really skinny after a moult, slings that are not yet eating live food, or those that are hidden long-term and I can't tell whether they need food or not.

The ones pouncing through the plastic are they well educated ones, they are just trying to be polite and saying Hello ;)

CritterKeeper79

Just because they react to movement doesnt mean they are hungry. The size of.the abdomen tells all.

Also, keep in mind some Ts physiology tends towards slender booties, like arboreals, specifically males, and some old worlds.

I have an OBT that will attack anything that enters her enclosure. I found a small cache of dead crickets at the bottom of her burrow; stockpiling or hiding bodies?
Hiding bodies to make cricket catacombs. Probably put a couple on spikes outside it’s burrow as a warning?

Latest posts