• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Typhochlaena Curumim

Dupid22

3 Year Member
I want to know all of your opinions on this, PLEASE!

I have the opportunity to purchase a T. Curumim for $650 unsexed. Given their rarity and endangered status.
- I'm hesitant due to my minimal 5 years in the hobby (Should this T be in the hands of a "professional"?)
- Typhochlaena's are by no means a beginner/intermediate/advanced level T. IMO they are expert level+.
- Again with rarity/endangered status how likely is it that this is a miss identification and I'd be way overpaying?

Any additional opinions, insights, or even contacts to "professional" so this T can be used to preserve the species rather than just sit on my shelf, please reply.

Help me make the best decision for the hobby!!!

Dupid22

3 Year Member
I want to know all of your opinions on this, PLEASE!

I have the opportunity to purchase a T. Curumim for $650 unsexed. Given their rarity and endangered status.
- I'm hesitant due to my minimal 5 years in the hobby (Should this T be in the hands of a "professional"?)
- Typhochlaena's are by no means a beginner/intermediate/advanced level T. IMO they are expert level+.
- Again with rarity/endangered status how likely is it that this is a miss identification and I'd be way overpaying?

Any additional opinions, insights, or even contacts to "professional" so this T can be used to preserve the species rather than just sit on my shelf, please reply.

Help me make the best decision for the hobby!!!
Yup I passed on it. I agree with all of you, too much.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup I passed on it. I agree with all of you, too much.
The problem with ultra rare is three-fold, and all hinge around cost, in my experience:

1. Cost prohibitive to acquire
- fewer individuals are purchased due to cost
2. Stress and pressure about keeping
- needs and expectations all rely on the few individuals purchased
3. Cost prohibitive to sell
- how many in the hobby can casually afford an individual that costs over $500 to acquire

Latest posts