• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tropical woodlice.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What sort of heat do tropical woodlice need? I was given a culture several weeks ago & it seemed to be developing nicely, with several tiny woodlice being easy to spot when I took the lid off to look & mist the substrate. But now I cannot see any in there.

They had dead leaves & even some Assellun food for them, that I was given. The environment was moist & the only thing I can think is, should I have given them extra warmth? Or should they have survived in the same temperatures as my T's?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What sort of heat do tropical woodlice need? I was given a culture several weeks ago & it seemed to be developing nicely, with several tiny woodlice being easy to spot when I took the lid off to look & mist the substrate. But now I cannot see any in there.

They had dead leaves & even some Assellun food for them, that I was given. The environment was moist & the only thing I can think is, should I have given them extra warmth? Or should they have survived in the same temperatures as my T's?
We had some of the very same woodlice in one of our enclosures (an old MM) just as clean up crew there was 4 adult woodlice and they never reproduced.. When the MM died the woodlice were put in with one of our millipede groups (we keep all our millipedes with additional heating) and we had a population explosion overnight - so going by our experience of them they can survive without additional heat but if you want the colony to grow and thrive I'd recommend adding additional heat in the form of a heat mat :)