• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on my enclosures

18ebolling

First time keeper just got my first 2 T’s this week and did my research but figured I’d get some feedback on my enclosures to make sure my spiders are safe. Here they are in the 10 gallon is an A. Seemanni and in the converted critter keeper is an Avicularia Avicularia. I zip tied some vinyl to the lid of the critter keeper so when I put it on its side the vinyl holds the substrate and doesn’t it fall through what used to be the lid’s vent holes . Then drilled 2 layers of holes across the left and right sides of the critter keeper for ventilation so 20 holes plus the entire front is ventilated. The Seemanni has a fake and one real plant in its cage as well as two starter burrows I made for it and the avicularia has a tube and branch for it

18ebolling

Here is the Avicularia

Attachments

• BC5CEA70-24CD-4320-9E02-56687475CEB0.jpeg
    BC5CEA70-24CD-4320-9E02-56687475CEB0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 6EB167AC-5F84-4C12-8C40-3E3F425B76DD.jpeg
    6EB167AC-5F84-4C12-8C40-3E3F425B76DD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 7422DE3F-CE6D-4CCE-8954-FB2547FE7C40.jpeg
    7422DE3F-CE6D-4CCE-8954-FB2547FE7C40.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don’t look bad...was not sure what you did with the zipties until I saw the picture! I like real plants better than plastic plants. Have fun watching your spiders and keep pictures coming. ;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
Although it's not your average Avicularia set up I can say at least it's got plenty of ventilation which is a good thing-- I'd swap out the tube for more branches or cork if possible so it has more places to hide, the seemani set up looks good but I wouldnt use that heat bulb at all... Its not needed and it can cause dehydration in tarantulas - you may already have water dishes but I can't see any in the pictures? If you don't already have them please put some in with both of your Ts as they need water available to them at all times to thrive- it doesn't have to be anything fancy even using peanut butter tub lids/bottle tops ect is a cheap and easy way of providing a water dish for your Ts
Hope this helps :)

18ebolling

Don’t look bad...was not sure what you did with the zipties until I saw the picture! I like real plants better than plastic plants. Have fun watching your spiders and keep pictures coming. ;)
Yeah just zip tied some of this plastic/vinyl stuff to it so the substrate doesn’t fall through the vent holes

18ebolling

Hi
Although it's not your average Avicularia set up I can say at least it's got plenty of ventilation which is a good thing-- I'd swap out the tube for more branches or cork if possible so it has more places to hide, the seemani set up looks good but I wouldnt use that heat bulb at all... Its not needed and it can cause dehydration in tarantulas - you may already have water dishes but I can't see any in the pictures? If you don't already have them please put some in with both of your Ts as they need water available to them at all times to thrive- it doesn't have to be anything fancy even using peanut butter tub lids/bottle tops ect is a cheap and easy way of providing a water dish for your Ts
Hope this helps :)
Yeah they both have water dishes just hard to see in the pics but if you look real close they’re there :) . The bulb has been ditched but it was a cfl for the live planted I decided based on some feedback from other keepers that I should let the plant die off (one was real one was fake )

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah they both have water dishes just hard to see in the pics but if you look real close they’re there :) . The bulb has been ditched but it was a cfl for the live planted I decided based on some feedback from other keepers that I should let the plant die off (one was real one was fake )
You should keep the plant...just my experience :confused:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’ve been hearing mixed opinions I was using a cfl which doesn’t get too hot to keep it alive and it’s a lil cold where I’m at so the heat wouldn’t really be a problem I wouldn’t think ?
The heat will be fine. I only keep planted terrariums and never had problems. Real plants always look better. Here are some that I use. All my tarantulas are fine.
1600892976898.jpeg

Latest posts