• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The other obsession

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been dealing with my 1968 cougar lately. It was interesting seeing if it could pass inspection.

That's not too important because it has historic tags already, plus insurance.

Still, not a bad looking car.

1968 cougar in Iowa 1.jpg
1968 cougar in Iowa 2.jpg

No, I don't let the tarantulas wander around the vehicle.

I know someone will wonder about that!! ;)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'd love to see those a few of those big old American cars being driven around the UK. They are certainly eye catching. Hardly anyone can afford to a) import them b) put fuel in them when they're here lol

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd love to see those a few of those big old American cars being driven around the UK. They are certainly eye catching. Hardly anyone can afford to a) import them b) put fuel in them when they're here lol

There use to be LOADS of them around my area of the East Anglia when I was a kid. First there were loads of USAF guys in this area who imported the vehicles, then when they returned it cost too much to export them again, so they sold them locally & for very little money as they needed a quick sale before they left.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
There use to be LOADS of them around my area of the East Anglia when I was a kid. First there were loads of USAF guys in this area who imported the vehicles, then when they returned it cost too much to export them again, so they sold them locally & for very little money as they needed a quick sale before they left.

That must have been wonderful. Wonder where they all went. Surely some were well looked after and are still in good driving condition. They must be worth a fair bit now!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That must have been wonderful. Wonder where they all went. Surely some were well looked after and are still in good driving condition. They must be worth a fair bit now!

Most will have rusted, American steel is not as robust as European or Japanese. There are still some around this area, but most were sold on cheaply & parts were not readily available, so many will have been scrapped.

Several years ago I came very close to buying an old & beautiful Pontiac Firebird, it looked & sounded wonderful. Putting your foot on the loud pedal made the most amazing sound & the car would slowly gather momentum. But I ended up buying a few month old Ford Grenada that had a 2 litre engine, far more luxury, speed & acceleration & for which parts & dealership services were available.

Last edited:
E

ExMember

I've been dealing with my 1968 cougar lately. It was interesting seeing if it could pass inspection.

View attachment 43525View attachment 43526

Damn! That coug has almost the same paint job as my 76 Maverick!

DOS1392

Dam this is why i love being a mechanic. Seeing cars like this still going just brings a warmth to my heart. This being a generation or two older than me really makes me appreciate how easy they were to fix compared to this **** boxes on the road today haha

Soulman

You can look at me walking around uk ,I'm the same age as the car! Old thing!

Soulman

View attachment 43525View attachment 43526

yes it is,I've been to the American speed fest ,in the UK at Brands Hatch.lot of America car and there owners.

Latest posts