• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The most challenging T you ever raised?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T. blondi.
The lady sometimes goes in her gigantic hide and web the entrance, making it impossible to check on her. It sometimes last a few months. I ended up buying an endoscopic camera with light that I can poke through the webbed entrance to check on her. It is all fun until your iphone screen shows her eyes as if you were 1 inch from her fangs, especially if she is in a bad mood. The very first time I ended up on my ass :)
Now most of the time we can bring her closer to the entrance with a live adult dubia on its back.
2582F6B6-9B6C-4C39-8160-89D11042D61D.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Pelinobius muticus ...not really challenging but I haven't seen her in well over 3 years. I only see shadow movements from her inside her burrows.

This was the last day I saw her. 04/23/2017View attachment 54277
I have one of these guys

I have it in a smaller, deeper container for now.
It's burried, but active, and visible via the windows it's excavated against the sides of the enclosure

16146320030317180975424636736991.jpg
It fills it's water dish on the surface, nightly lol

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one of these guys

It's burried, but active, and visible via the windows it's excavated against the sides of the enclosure

View attachment 54280
Hear is mine,
The trick is on the crystal clear round container, she has been good keeping it clean and it allows me to see her whenever I want, except when she is near the entrance.
39EE83BE-98D8-4035-8FA8-1FB5D6EAACD0.jpeg

Phlo1

Orphnaecus sp cebu. Tried to attack my face multiple times when trying to feed or do maintenance. Super fast and it jumps. Truly aggressive and not defensive or skittish. But it's been in molt for over a month and I miss it :(

timc

3 Year Member
Brachypelma albiceps. Doesn’t eat. Doesn’t molt. Doesn’t leave its hide. Doesn’t drink. Doesn’t move. I suppose the challenge is not getting frustrated. I just keep telling myself it won’t be a sling forever but there’s days it really feels like I’m lying to myself.

If you mean “challenging” in terms of an advanced spider, probably the OBTs. But I’ll take a tarantula with attitude I can actually see progress with in terms of growth. Pet rock? At least rocks erode over time...jeez.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma albiceps. Doesn’t eat. Doesn’t molt. Doesn’t leave its hide. Doesn’t drink. Doesn’t move. I suppose the challenge is not getting frustrated. I just keep telling myself it won’t be a sling forever but there’s days it really feels like I’m lying to myself.

If you mean “challenging” in terms of an advanced spider, probably the OBTs. But I’ll take a tarantula with attitude I can actually see progress with in terms of growth. Pet rock? At least rocks erode over time...jeez.
My A chalcodes sounds the same, it's a digger and disappears for weeks at a time.

My OBTs are super predictable, they dive into their burrows on first disruption and web like crazy.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one of these guys

View attachment 54280
Thats adorable.... she's a little big for that though. :D She's probably 7"-8" right now. I have her in a clear 18 gallon plastic tote. Her tunnel webbing is so thick i can only see her shadows moving. Its time to rehouse her soon, definitely going to go with glass this time.

Spiders&Snakes

Thats adorable.... she's a little big for that though. :D She's probably 7"-8" right now. I have her in a clear 18 gallon plastic tote. Her tunnel webbing is so thick i can only see her shadows moving. Its time to rehouse her soon, definitely going to go with glass this time.
Just curious how you would attempt to rehouse something you can't see, that's so heavily webbed up, and also in such a big enclosure? It sounds like the rehousing might be fun, ha ha ha!

Not being facetious, I'm still fairly new to the hobby, so just genuinely curious how you would go about doing a rehousing like that...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just curious how you would attempt to rehouse something you can't see, that's so heavily webbed up, and also in such a big enclosure? It sounds like the rehousing might be fun, ha ha ha!

Not being facetious, I'm still fairly new to the hobby, so just genuinely curious how you would go about doing a rehousing like that...
Gotta dig her out. Try to trap her in one area by collapsing her tunnel system. Slowly dig her up...she will be pist off.:D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My little guy is 2"-ish
Gotta dig her out. Try to trap her in one area by collapsing her tunnel system. Slowly dig her up...she will be pist off.:D
I've done the same and find that a bunch of chopsticks and long zip ties are magical tools in addition to a long-handled paint brush and clear catch cup.

I use the chopsticks to close of escape routes behind the T and dig a hatch that I cover with a catch cup and use the zip ties to penetrate the substrate and coax the T towards the hatch. They will dig themselves out right into the cup if I'm lucky.

Side a piece of cardboard under the cup and done. A non-skittish helper often comes in handy.

Latest posts