• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

That little Mother F....

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Guys you do not understand the magic that just happened.
The things that had to happen for this to be possible.
I lost my Avic Avic on September 28. He escaped his enclosure because of a faulty magnet that didn't lock into place properly and he squished through a fricking mm space. Literally.
I searched everywhere for this guy.
Up down high low. Cleaned my cupboards. My bed, under my bed. My corners. I was convinced he escaped somewhere or already died. Eaten by a bigger spider.

It's 1:35 am, I should be asleep. but I got sick, Ive been sick for 13 days. Like what are the odds of that? I was trying so hard to sleep but kept coughing and coughing and tossing and tossing and I thought let me just get up.
I get up to walk out and who do I see, freeeeking patrolling like it's nobody's business!
NJkjksA.jpg

This lil mofo was strolling on the very bottom of my cupboard door. In a diagonal line, if he kept going far enough (about a meter) he ironically would have ended up in his fricking enclosure.

this little mofo. Strolling out an about. Like he was never gone. I accepted his death. I even deleted his name from my tarantula feeding spreadsheet!
Omfg the relief!

2NLcdGh.jpg

I put him back and weirdly enough he immediately went for his water dish which still had some water in it. Maybe it was just coincidence idk. Probably. Maybe he was looking for water on his stroll. But what are the odds? I had that Nandu escape when I first started out, climbed through a ventilation hole - found him. my smithi got stuck in his ventilation hole - managed to cut him out with a fricking hot blade no damage he even molted a few days ago.
Now this! I have 0 zeeeero tarantula deaths or losses!
The hell!

He was somewhere. Idk where, but mannnn this is like the bestest news ever.

Welcome back plush :D

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Glad you found the lil booger! I know the feeling! My B hamorii escaped her enclosure the very first night I had her. I panicked and turned my apartment upside down looking for her. Just prayed and low and behold i found her walking on my kitchen ceiling! :eek: I never flew up on my counter so fast in my life, saved her from a 10 foot fall! God is good like that! Happy for you my friend!

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Glad you found the lil booger! I know the feeling! My B hamorii escaped her enclosure the very first night I had her. I panicked and turned my apartment upside down looking for her. Just prayed and low and behold i found her walking on my kitchen ceiling! :eek: I never flew up on my counter so fast in my life, saved her from a 10 foot fall! God is good like that! Happy for you my friend!
On the ceiling???

Woww, that lil guy went exploring
Glad you managed to save him

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
On the ceiling???

Woww, that lil guy went exploring
Glad you managed to save him
I don't know how she got up there so quickly but she managed :eek: What a relief it was when I found her! Mine slipped through a faulty lid on a sterlite container. Afterwards I put her in a 10 gallon glass terrarium with snap lid, and she did great in that. Never had an escape again after that phheeewww!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Well happy for you! I had a look at the video you posted of the faulty lid. As a temporary fix until you get a new enclosure you may be able to push it shut tight then clamp a bulldog clip to the top to keep it shut. Just be sure to check there isn't a gap left on the side that it could get through.
You could probably buy cheaply a tall plastic enclosure with a snap down lid, the type you can store soups or smoothies in, for it at that size. All you have to do is melt little airholes on the lid and down the sides. Here's a photo of a 1L one for an example:

R-S514.jpg

But you can find a different brand at any size you want. A sweetie jar with a screw top lid would be fine too but I'd recommend a round enclosure because the square ones are a nuisance during rehousings because they can tuck themselves into the corners!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Guys you do not understand the magic that just happened.
The things that had to happen for this to be possible.
I lost my Avic Avic on September 28. He escaped his enclosure because of a faulty magnet that didn't lock into place properly and he squished through a fricking mm space. Literally.
I searched everywhere for this guy.
Up down high low. Cleaned my cupboards. My bed, under my bed. My corners. I was convinced he escaped somewhere or already died. Eaten by a bigger spider.

It's 1:35 am, I should be asleep. but I got sick, Ive been sick for 13 days. Like what are the odds of that? I was trying so hard to sleep but kept coughing and coughing and tossing and tossing and I thought let me just get up.
I get up to walk out and who do I see, freeeeking patrolling like it's nobody's business!
NJkjksA.jpg

This lil mofo was strolling on the very bottom of my cupboard door. In a diagonal line, if he kept going far enough (about a meter) he ironically would have ended up in his fricking enclosure.

this little mofo. Strolling out an about. Like he was never gone. I accepted his death. I even deleted his name from my tarantula feeding spreadsheet!
Omfg the relief!

2NLcdGh.jpg

I put him back and weirdly enough he immediately went for his water dish which still had some water in it. Maybe it was just coincidence idk. Probably. Maybe he was looking for water on his stroll. But what are the odds? I had that Nandu escape when I first started out, climbed through a ventilation hole - found him. my smithi got stuck in his ventilation hole - managed to cut him out with a fricking hot blade no damage he even molted a few days ago.
Now this! I have 0 zeeeero tarantula deaths or losses!
The hell!

He was somewhere. Idk where, but mannnn this is like the bestest news ever.

Welcome back plush :D
OMG. what an amazing story. And....I have just put a nee media item that is the PERFECT name. "cotton eye Joe"....where did you come from, where did you go....PMSL

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats! Little Houdini! Lol. It was meant to be! On a side note: if you ever lose an H. maculata, head straight for the clothes!! They'll be in there somewhere! In the clothes pile on the floor, in the hamper or even in your clothes hanging in your closet! Lol.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Congrats! Little Houdini! Lol. It was meant to be! On a side note: if you ever lose an H. maculata, head straight for the clothes!! They'll be in there somewhere! In the clothes pile on the floor, in the hamper or even in your clothes hanging in your closet! Lol.

And......another reason for me to not get a H.mac pmsl!!!! Specially if it looks better in a dress than me (that won't be hard!) :D