• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantulas with the best feeding response?

creepy-crawly

3 Year Member
Let's face it, a lot of us do NOT like Tarantulas that are picky and grow SLOW....

I love tarantulas that eat like there is no tomorrow and grow FAST!

What species have you kept that have the best feeding response?

Seekeroftruth

My avicularia avicularias and caribena versicolor are picky eaters. None of them will eat pre killed food unless I drop the food next to them to trick them into thinking Its live or gently brush the food against them with the tongs. (I don't like tong feeding and don't do it with any of my other T's) Its kind of a hassle, actullally. Other people have said the same thing about theirs. Yet others claim theirs will eat pre killed just fine. Every other sling I've had, has ate pre killed. A lot of people have said that their grammastola pulchra eats a lot. Mine does. I've seen videos of some other species of T's taking down food quite ferociously. Watch some feeding videos on youtube and you will see what I mean. I can't remember the species off the top of my head. Lasiodora parabhana, I've heard is very fast growing and most new world arboreals ( psalmopous, tapinauchenious, and Psudoclamoris). My Psudoclamoris gigas went from 3/4 inch to well over an inch in one molt and doesn't stay slim for long.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While not fast growing, my late T. schroederi was my best eater, now my Aphonopelma gabeli has that title. Out of my fast growing species, both of my Phormictopus and my A. geniculata are ravenous.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While not fast growing, my late T. schroederi was my best eater, now my Aphonopelma gabeli has that title. Out of my fast growing species, both of my Phormictopus and my A. geniculata are ravenous.
Disregard the above post I just made. Just realized you asked me that directly on AB recently.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any lasiodora species will fit the bill. Basically they eat like garbage disposals.

They also grow fast and make a great first tarantula of you start with a large sling or small juvenile. They're pretty affordable as well as slings.

Pamphobeteous species also have a great feeding response. They're a moist spider so have a large water dish and well hydrated frog moss in the enclosure.

Of course, T stirmi also has a great feeding response, but is generally considered best for a more experienced individual. Oh, & they teleport for hissing roaches.

Do try to get captive bred slings whenever possible.

NorseDad

My A. geniculata startled me even when it was <1" with how aggressively it goes after prey. My C. marshalli has never been a shy one either. Her legs practically tremble at the entrance to her burrow when I open her enclosure.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T. stirmi....
20181221_140200_1.gif

Volkswachter

My M. balfouri males are terrified of crickets on a stick, I've booped them with the cricket and they just flop on the ground and stress curl their hands over their faces. So I just drop them into their house. The crickets are gone by the morning as far as I know, unless they're hiding under the hides, but I doubt they'd survive long there.

Funny enough, my lasiodora parahydana slings are extremely active eaters, one of them tackled half a mealworm right from the tong and dragged it under the moss to eat it; my T. albopilosum slings are still just scavenging food.

So for my money, LPs are pretty nifty eaters.

timc

3 Year Member
Everyone else here is dead on, but I just want to give the Nandhu genus a shout out. Fast growers, crazy eaters that hit like trucks, and pretty nifty looking to boot. I only have a 1” chromatus but that thing is not shy about taking a cricket down. Like, not even a little. Almost mean about it really lol