• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantulas Got Smarts?

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
The observation reported by m0lsx (Ping Pong Balls) attracted my attention because it raises so many questions. But rather than risking hijacking that thread I decided to start a new one. Mind you, what I present here is nothing new, just largely ignored. But I find this conjecture immensely fascinating.

1) I have seen virtually no evidence in wild, North American tarantulas of them moving things around the openings of their burrows. And mind you, I've had lots of experience with these creatures in the wild. If they did "rearrange the furniture" around their natural burrows, I would have recognized the fact by now. Thus, I can only draw the conclusion that the act of "playing" with ping pong balls is a completely unnatural phenomenon, not based on any obvious instinctual behavior. And therefore it's almost surely a LEARNED activity or response.

2) Several decades ago, when I was breeding Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) albopilosus (curlyhair tarantulas), I noticed an interesting behavior. Imagine this, if you will. I am seated on the carpet in a small bedroom with three-and-a-half walls covered with shelves of tarantulas, often more than 1300 counting the babies! On my left is a stack of cardboard trays of the type used for marketing 24 soda pop cans each. (BTW, I'm left handed. If you do this, you more probably would reverse my arrangement.) Each such tray holds 40, small, glass, baby food jars. And each jar contains one baby (3rd, 4th, or 5th instar, perhaps) tarantula. At arm's length in front of me sets a quart bottle of tap water with a plunger style pump, and a small Erlenmeyer flask holding perhaps fifty to 100 baby crickets. On my right is a stack of empty, cardboard, soda pop trays.

The technique is to -
1. Grab one of the occupied baby food jars from my left.
2. Remove the cover.
3. Squirt about a half teaspoon to full teaspoon of water from the pump bottle into the baby food jar (depending on how dry it appeared).
4. Grab the flask of crickets and gently tap four to six crickets into the baby food jar with the tarantula.
5. Replace the cover on the baby food jar.
6. Place the processed baby food jar into the empty tray strategically placed to my right.
7. Grab another occupied baby food jar from my left...
8. Repeat as often as necessary.

(Side note: I spent a lot of time on that carpet! I missed watching an entire season of Star Trek: Next Generation by doing so! Had to catch it during the Summer reruns.)

During this repetitive, assembly line procedure I began to notice an interesting behavior. A very few of the baby curlyhairs, perhaps four to six out of 100, learned to run out of their baby food jars onto my right hand and position themselves on the side of my thumb over the open mouth of the jar. They exhibited no readily discernible reaction to my squirting water into their jar. But, when I tapped a few crickets into their jar they'd make a "Hail Mary" style dive into the baby food jar after the crickets. In the majority of occasions they were successful at capturing one of the crickets, sometimes rolling around for a few seconds while dispatching it.

And they did this repetitively until they had a DLS* of 3/4" or so (19 or 20 mm).

There are a number of remarkable aspects about this behavior. It's not as simple as it first seems. First, it is not normal in the wild state for a tarantula to learn to recognize when the lid of their jar is removed. THERE ARE NO LIDS ON THEIR BURROWS TO BE REMOVED IN THE WILD!

And any such disturbance would almost surely be instinctively interpreted as a predator attempting to dig up the burrow to eat the delicious spider at the bottom. THUS, THE ACT OF EXITING THEIR JARS AND POSTING THEMSELVES NEXT TO THE ENTRANCE WOULD REQUIRE THAT THEY DID SO IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THEIR NATURAL INCLINATION TO HIDE UNDER THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES. They had to LEARN this behavior!

Furthermore, wild baby tarantulas generally live in burrows whose diameter is roughly proportional to the spiders' DLS. (Although I've never seen a published verification of this, much less a statistical analysis or comparison between representative species.) Thus, the baby curlyhairs that I was feeding might ordinarily live in burrows from perhaps the diameter of a common lead pencil up to perhaps one-half inch, just barely wide enough to accomodate the tarantula as it moved up and down the burrow. By comparison, the diameters of the mouths of the baby food jars were an immense "maw," and the depth a terrifying abyss! THUS, MAKING THAT LEAP AFTER THE BABY CRICKETS NOT ONLY REQUIRED AN ACT OF FAITH, BUT WAS IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THE INSTINCTIVE MESSAGE TO NOT RISK SUCH A DANGEROUS ENDEAVOR. The baby tarantulas had to LEARN this behavior!

For many decades I have felt that tarantulas are actually much smarter than we give them credit for, that they actually are capable of displaying some level of "intelligence" if given the opportunity. My inclination is further supported by a small book (actually a booklet or pamphlet) published by Karen Peebles, Training AND Experimenting With Tarantulas. (2007 and 2009) Lulu Publishing. While this work has received generally poor reviews, it too raises some questions about tarantulas' ability to learn and change their behavior that transcends mere instinctive response.

This topic is also discussed in a thread on another forum. [Note to moderators: Please allow this single infraction to any prohibitions against mentioning other forums, if such exists.]

So, my questions are:
1) Do any of you have any anecdotal experience to support the hypothesis that tarantulas can actually learn and perhaps "think" at some basic level? If so, would you be kind enough to report them in this thread?

2) Have any of you seen any other discussions of tarantula intelligence? Would you please supply me the references?

3) Do any of you know how to contact Karen Peebles? If so, could you either supply me with the contact info directly, or ask her to contact me at [email protected]? PLEASE DO NOT ADVERTISE MS. PEEBLES' E-MAIL ADDRESS PUBLICLY ON THIS FORUM!

Thanks in advance for your participation.

* DLS = diagonal leg span

Phototoxin

I have to admit studying spider behaviour on a strictly amateur level (I'm a biologist but not an animal-ologist type!) as being a motivation for acquiring some Tarantulas. I've been reading up on animal behaviour basics eg Measuring Behaviour (Martin/Bateson 2002).

Additionally the nervous system of a spider is quite intricate and occupies a decent volume of the ventral interior of the cephalothorax as well as budding into the leg cavities.

I hope that the more we observe and conduct non harmful, ethical and informative experiements on these creatures, the more we will learn and begin to comprehend what makes them 'tick' so to speak.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The observation reported by m0lsx (Ping Pong Balls) attracted my attention because it raises so many questions. But rather than risking hijacking that thread I decided to start a new one. Mind you, what I present here is nothing new, just largely ignored. But I find this conjecture immensely fascinating.

1) I have seen virtually no evidence in wild, North American tarantulas of them moving things around the openings of their burrows. And mind you, I've had lots of experience with these creatures in the wild. If they did "rearrange the furniture" around their natural burrows, I would have recognized the fact by now. Thus, I can only draw the conclusion that the act of "playing" with ping pong balls is a completely unnatural phenomenon, not based on any obvious instinctual behavior. And therefore it's almost surely a LEARNED activity or response.

2) Several decades ago, when I was breeding Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) albopilosus (curlyhair tarantulas), I noticed an interesting behavior. Imagine this, if you will. I am seated on the carpet in a small bedroom with three-and-a-half walls covered with shelves of tarantulas, often more than 1300 counting the babies! On my left is a stack of cardboard trays of the type used for marketing 24 soda pop cans each. (BTW, I'm left handed. If you do this, you more probably would reverse my arrangement.) Each such tray holds 40, small, glass, baby food jars. And each jar contains one baby (3rd, 4th, or 5th instar, perhaps) tarantula. At arm's length in front of me sets a quart bottle of tap water with a plunger style pump, and a small Erlenmeyer flask holding perhaps fifty to 100 baby crickets. On my right is a stack of empty, cardboard, soda pop trays.

The technique is to -
1. Grab one of the occupied baby food jars from my left.
2. Remove the cover.
3. Squirt about a half teaspoon to full teaspoon of water from the pump bottle into the baby food jar (depending on how dry it appeared).
4. Grab the flask of crickets and gently tap four to six crickets into the baby food jar with the tarantula.
5. Replace the cover on the baby food jar.
6. Place the processed baby food jar into the empty tray strategically placed to my right.
7. Grab another occupied baby food jar from my left...
8. Repeat as often as necessary.

(Side note: I spent a lot of time on that carpet! I missed watching an entire season of Star Trek: Next Generation by doing so! Had to catch it during the Summer reruns.)

During this repetitive, assembly line procedure I began to notice an interesting behavior. A very few of the baby curlyhairs, perhaps four to six out of 100, learned to run out of their baby food jars onto my right hand and position themselves on the side of my thumb over the open mouth of the jar. They exhibited no readily discernible reaction to my squirting water into their jar. But, when I tapped a few crickets into their jar they'd make a "Hail Mary" style dive into the baby food jar after the crickets. In the majority of occasions they were successful at capturing one of the crickets, sometimes rolling around for a few seconds while dispatching it.

And they did this repetitively until they had a DLS* of 3/4" or so (19 or 20 mm).

There are a number of remarkable aspects about this behavior. It's not as simple as it first seems. First, it is not normal in the wild state for a tarantula to learn to recognize when the lid of their jar is removed. THERE ARE NO LIDS ON THEIR BURROWS TO BE REMOVED IN THE WILD!

And any such disturbance would almost surely be instinctively interpreted as a predator attempting to dig up the burrow to eat the delicious spider at the bottom. THUS, THE ACT OF EXITING THEIR JARS AND POSTING THEMSELVES NEXT TO THE ENTRANCE WOULD REQUIRE THAT THEY DID SO IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THEIR NATURAL INCLINATION TO HIDE UNDER THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES. They had to LEARN this behavior!

Furthermore, wild baby tarantulas generally live in burrows whose diameter is roughly proportional to the spiders' DLS. (Although I've never seen a published verification of this, much less a statistical analysis or comparison between representative species.) Thus, the baby curlyhairs that I was feeding might ordinarily live in burrows from perhaps the diameter of a common lead pencil up to perhaps one-half inch, just barely wide enough to accomodate the tarantula as it moved up and down the burrow. By comparison, the diameters of the mouths of the baby food jars were an immense "maw," and the depth a terrifying abyss! THUS, MAKING THAT LEAP AFTER THE BABY CRICKETS NOT ONLY REQUIRED AN ACT OF FAITH, BUT WAS IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO THE INSTINCTIVE MESSAGE TO NOT RISK SUCH A DANGEROUS ENDEAVOR. The baby tarantulas had to LEARN this behavior!

For many decades I have felt that tarantulas are actually much smarter than we give them credit for, that they actually are capable of displaying some level of "intelligence" if given the opportunity. My inclination is further supported by a small book (actually a booklet or pamphlet) published by Karen Peebles, Training AND Experimenting With Tarantulas. (2007 and 2009) Lulu Publishing. While this work has received generally poor reviews, it too raises some questions about tarantulas' ability to learn and change their behavior that transcends mere instinctive response.

This topic is also discussed in a thread on another forum. [Note to moderators: Please allow this single infraction to any prohibitions against mentioning other forums, if such exists.]

So, my questions are:
1) Do any of you have any anecdotal experience to support the hypothesis that tarantulas can actually learn and perhaps "think" at some basic level? If so, would you be kind enough to report them in this thread?

2) Have any of you seen any other discussions of tarantula intelligence? Would you please supply me the references?

3) Do any of you know how to contact Karen Peebles? If so, could you either supply me with the contact info directly, or ask her to contact me at [email protected]? PLEASE DO NOT ADVERTISE MS. PEEBLES' E-MAIL ADDRESS PUBLICLY ON THIS FORUM!

Thanks in advance for your participation.

* DLS = diagonal leg span
I have a Alphonopelma chalcodes that dumps her dish for me to put superworms in it.

One day I was feeding her but she was awkwardly sitting half way on her water dish faced up against the glass. I couldn't drop the worm in front of her in this position. At the time her water dish was just about dry so I tossed the worm in there behind her. She spun around and nailed it. So I gave her another, she grabbed that one and wondered off. I filled the water dish.
A few days passed and I noticed her trying to flip her water dish. It is a exoterra water dish so its quite heavy for a spider. After she dumped the water she sat next to it. I tossed a worm in it and she grabbed it again.

This behavior has been going on for years. She has added a few twists though. Keep in mind while fasting she will not flip the dish. Ill also add she will also dry out her dish by filling it with moss or substrate then dig it out when its absorbed. She also now lightly throws silk on the empty dish to the front of her burrow. Just in case I drop a worm it will ring that dinner bell and she will come running.
20180210_081122.jpg

Last edited:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As a former Social Worker, I would throw in the psychology term, "Situationism." In people, it is a superstition that situation, rather than personal trait, dictates a behaviour. For example look at sexuality within a prison. Same sex encounters are not just more common, they are vastly more common, than in the wider community. That is called Situational sexuality. Or look at the way language usage can change in many people, depending upon who they are talking too.

Do we understand Tarantulas sufficiently to know if they change or evolve behaviour depending upon situation? So even if we do try to make their enclosures as natural as possible, will their behaviour & experience within that environment be a natural one?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
OP: Are you THE Stan Schultz?

I can probably be accused of reading too much into tarantula behaviour, but I am definitely eager to find intelligence :p Seeing as we are discovering that so many animals are more intelligent than first thought, making the rights of animals be questioned more, and relatively hardly any research has been done on tarantulas, I don't see why it isn't likely that there is some type of intelligence there we haven't yet revealed. And also maybe an intelligence so unlike human intelligence that maybe we still look in the wrong places with the wrong methods but don't know it yet.

My Sericopelma angustum Bellatrix I see as the most civilised of my Ts as I have had to add a toilet to her enclosure haha. Basically she was pooing in her water bowl, which at first seemed 'dirty' but then I realised that actually made it really easy to clean it up regularly. So I put another 'water bowl' in, and touch wood I have never seen poo in that. She still uses the other one as a toilet, doesn't poo anywhere else as far as I can tell, and drinks out of the new one. Well I have seen her drink out of the toilet but only when it is freshly cleaned, so she's got the order right at least ;)

I saw this on bookface , its about bees but still interesting: https://fb.watch/3-wyFJXUPJ/

Very interesting thanks :) 'Bookface' made me laugh. I never use my face as a profile pic on fb to protect privacy, defeating the object really :p maybe I should just put a book over my face and then I am at least bookface.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
I saw this on bookface , its about bees but still interesting: https://fb.watch/3-wyFJXUPJ/
Incredible! I knew that honeybees manage to communicate with each other, and I've several documentaries displaying it, but this is the first time I've seen a human actually teaching a bee (albeit a different species) something, and then that bee teaching another bee the same thing!

Thanks so much for your contribution!

Stan

Phototoxin

Incredible! I knew that honeybees manage to communicate with each other, and I've several documentaries displaying it, but this is the first time I've seen a human actually teaching a bee (albeit a different species) something, and then that bee teaching another bee the same thing!

Thanks so much for your contribution!

Stan

Thank you for your book! I lost my copy during a house move and I immediately had to get another. I just didn't feel happy getting Ts again without having access to it!!

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
OP: Are you THE Stan Schultz?

The one who wrote the tarantula book? Yup!

I can probably be accused of reading too much into tarantula behaviour, but I am definitely eager to find intelligence :p Seeing as we are discovering that so many animals are more intelligent than first thought, making the rights of animals be questioned more, and relatively hardly any research has been done on tarantulas, I don't see why it isn't likely that there is some type of intelligence there we haven't yet revealed. And also maybe an intelligence so unlike human intelligence that maybe we still look in the wrong places with the wrong methods but don't know it yet.

Interesting that you should say so. Consider this for a moment. The vast preponderance of our intelligence involves TECHNOLOGY. This apparently began several hundreds of thousands, perhaps a million or two, years ago with us learning how to make and use fire, and very primitive tools. Before this, we were little more than soft, tasty, defenseless, entrees! Our technological intelligence was our hedge, our advantage over tooth and claw, that permitted us to out-survive all the competition, and most of our predators. But look at where it's taken us!

Most of us rate the intelligence of an individual by how successful they are at manipulating tools, building things, and creating things. Yes, it's true that we also are deeply involved with arts and crafts for esthetic purposes as opposed to constructing tools, but such is clearly a secondary issue. First we build a bridge (in a broad sense, a sort of tool), then we paint it red secondarily. First we built a car. Then we altered its design to make it pretty.

Now, we also recognize that some other animals also display some level of intelligence. Consider for instance, dogs, domestic cats, ravens, porpoises, the other great apes, and parrots to name a few. But I present to you several hypotheses that may rattle your cage, if not your sense of intellectual superiority:

1) Intelligence is not like pregnancy! It isn't a matter of "either you is, or you ain't!" It's a spectrum of grays. Or even more dimensions (or colors), depending on how sophisticated you are as you consider it. Hypothetically, we should be able to draw a line across the page, label the left end as zero, and the right end as 100. Now, on this axis we should be able to place a dot representing the intelligence of a sponge (for instance, but this may be demeaning the sponge!) very near the zero mark. And place another dot somewhere around the middle and declare it to represent the intelligence of a blue crab. Ants, and bees might go a little farther to the right. And of course, we, being very egocentric, even narcissistic, would place our dot very near the 100 mark.

2) There are different kinds of intelligence. Our species tends to emphasize technology. But what about porpoises? In what direction have they fine-tuned their intelligence? Or bumblebees? Is it possible that we're so infatuated with our own technological smarts that we've missed the point entirely?

Are we so artistically challenged that we've entirely missed the artistic attributes of a termite mound, the design of which has taken tens, if not hundreds of millions of years to perfect?

Are we so retarded that we cannot appreciate the symphony of a coral reef beyond acting like a boorish tourist, or wanting to eat the grouper, Spanish mackerel, or red emperor?

If it can't build a skyscraper or a fast car, is it merely food?

More central to this epistle, where along our left-right line would you place tarantulas? And why would you place them there, as opposed to farther to the right, or to the left?

Thanks for your contributions thus far, and keep 'em comin, sports fans!

Stan

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
This! A quote from The Outermost House, by Henry Beston—->
“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

Gizalba

3 Year Member
“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

Beautifully phrased :) I think I will have to read that book.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member

Yaaayyyyy!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am eager for more stories about the intelligence of tarantulas - our future overlords.