• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tarantulas and mice

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
i've watched a few videos of T's eating mice. i've noticed that when the T bites, the mouse scratches the T ALOT. (from trying to escape) doesn't that harm the T?

Cobalt

3 Year Member
Yes, they can scratch and bite which could be harmful or even deadly to the tarantula.

I can't see any reason why a tarantula would profit from the risk of eating a mice versus b. dubia etc, and to this day i have yet to see a valid argument FOR it.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
yep. i found a video where the mouse won the battle. it was pretty stupid because the mouse was bigger than the T. i'll try to find it.
(edit)
here it is.

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
WoW!!! (And I don't mean a good one). What a beautiful tarantula...so sad. This is one reason why T's should never be fed mice...Another reason to consider is that mice are high in calcium content. I've read that too much calcium in a T's diet presents complications with molting...I personally stick to crickets and roaches, with some superworms for variety.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a cruel SOB. Pardon the language, but seriously, it is these uneducated morons that do this sort of thing.

Please note that most T's feed on inverts smaller than they. If they do eat a vertebrate they likely found it dead or are very large T's eating very small vertebrates.

Latest posts