• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula stressed because of an enclosure?

lgobin

So here is her story. I got my tarantula Monocentropus balfouri a week ago from some guy that really hated her and didnt want to take care of her. He left her to die basically. And that is where I stepped in. I'm aware that this species of tarantula is of a ''old world'' one and is probably harder to care than some other (this is my first tarantula) but I really wanted to save the spider as I am a big fan of animals. He doesn't know how old she is (I think she is not too old), I only know she molted 7 months ago. She is eating fine also.
Anyway I see she does not want to walk at the ground at all, she only chills at the glass, and I think that is because of the substrate I used. It was not bone dry, as it apparently should be, at all, it's pretty wet. (I'm sorry about that, truly I am I didn't know). So I immediately went to buy some dry substrate and some moss.
Now, my question is, should I replace it now, or should I wait for her to chill a bit, because you can see in a pictures how stressed she is (I believe it is stress). Yesterday she was just sitting in the corner and I thought she was dead, but apparently she was just faking it or something. I don't have a lot of experience, and it is rare to find an exotic animal keeper in my country, vets don't care about them also, so I'm asking you for help. I really want her to be happy. (also I'm pretty scared she is dehydrated as she does not touch the ground, so it means she did not drink from the water bowl... I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, this is actually a first forum post in my life (from any kind) so yeah.. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 22.11.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 22.11.05.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 20.29.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 20.29.47.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 63
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 20.29.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 20.29.47.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 61

lgobin

This is the second picture I wanted to post, by mistake i posted 2 sames pictures, I'm not sure if I can edit the post..
Here is where I thought she is dead :(

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 09.12.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 09.12.13.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 36

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum!

Monocentropus balfouri are an arid species that burrows and webs, a lot. They are very easy to care for, actually.

Most all tarantulas will favor harder ground, Terra firma. Pull her out, pack down the substrate and put the web anchor points back in there with a water bowl and you'll be all set. She doesn't need do substrate, won't want or like that.

As.long as she is eating and has access to water you can fix everything else.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome. :)
They can take a while to settle into new surroundings and the substrate will son dry out so just enjoy her.

beanie

So here is her story. I got my tarantula Monocentropus balfouri a week ago from some guy that really hated her and didnt want to take care of her. He left her to die basically. And that is where I stepped in. I'm aware that this species of tarantula is of a ''old world'' one and is probably harder to care than some other (this is my first tarantula) but I really wanted to save the spider as I am a big fan of animals. He doesn't know how old she is (I think she is not too old), I only know she molted 7 months ago. She is eating fine also.
Anyway I see she does not want to walk at the ground at all, she only chills at the glass, and I think that is because of the substrate I used. It was not bone dry, as it apparently should be, at all, it's pretty wet. (I'm sorry about that, truly I am I didn't know). So I immediately went to buy some dry substrate and some moss.
Now, my question is, should I replace it now, or should I wait for her to chill a bit, because you can see in a pictures how stressed she is (I believe it is stress). Yesterday she was just sitting in the corner and I thought she was dead, but apparently she was just faking it or something. I don't have a lot of experience, and it is rare to find an exotic animal keeper in my country, vets don't care about them also, so I'm asking you for help. I really want her to be happy. (also I'm pretty scared she is dehydrated as she does not touch the ground, so it means she did not drink from the water bowl... I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, this is actually a first forum post in my life (from any kind) so yeah.. Thanks for your help.
Hi! I’m a fairly new T keeper also. However, I do know that wet substrate isn’t a good idea and I’m glad you found out. What I find to be a good idea is having it mostly dry except for where the water is. So overfill your water dish and flood that corner where the dish is just a little bit that way humidity is retained and its a cool spot that it has the option to go to. Also tarantulas being welcomed to new living homes will definitely be spooked for a bit before they start exploring and making their enclosure their home.

beanie

This is the second picture I wanted to post, by mistake i posted 2 sames pictures, I'm not sure if I can edit the post..
Here is where I thought she is dead :(
Also, that’s a terrestrial species. I recommend filling that up with substrate all the way up to the little black thing at the bottom there.