• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Sling Identification Help

Avion1929

3 Year Member
I'd been wanting to get a tarantula for a while and impulse bought a sling from a local pet store. It was labeled as 'Pink Toed Tarantula (Metallic)'.

To be honest I wasn't expecting to get a Pink Toe as my first and hadn't known what an adult looked like, but when I google the adult images for a Pink Toe they vary. Adding 'Metallic' doesn't seem to make any changes in images. At least when I google 'Pink Toe Sling' the very first image is exactly what my sling (named Foby) looks like.

Can someone help me figure out what my Sling would look like as an adult? I've attached a picture of the sling in question. Does the metallic part on the label even matter?

20180109_221752.jpg 20180109_221802.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera won't focus correctly. I hope they are still useful)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Too early to tell right now, however it seems like your sling is in premolt. It also looks like the enclosure could use some tweaking.

Avion1929

3 Year Member
I would love to hear your suggestions for tweaking. I was going to add some more substrate and get a taller bark for climbing but Foby is still finishing off a cricket they caught this morning and I didn't want to disturb them. Especially now considering, as you said, they're in premolt

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Several Avicularia slings have that colouring so there is a chance it could be Avicularia metallica but you won't be able to identify it accurately until it older.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would love to hear your suggestions for tweaking. I was going to add some more substrate and get a taller bark for climbing but Foby is still finishing off a cricket they caught this morning and I didn't want to disturb them. Especially now considering, as you said, they're in premolt
Those were the suggestions I had.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a Avicularia metallica...a little older than yours but you can use this to compare after a molt or two. You can see the metallic hair tips...
20171220_172416.jpg
20171220_170109.jpg

Latest posts