• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula leg molts in tank?

RannyMama

Ok first just want to say that I apologize if this question has already been asked. I looked through and searched leg molt and didn't come across anything that looked like it related.

I noticed my g. rosea went into his enclosure for the first time since he was given to me around 3 months ago. I was told he had already molted so when I saw a few days ago that there were 2 'legs' in the tank but he's not missing any legs and also wasnt missing legs before. So I'm assuming he molted just his legs? I'm a little confused. Is it possible for them to only molt their legs or maybe he molted and ate it before I could see it? I check on him throughout the day, everyday and didn't see him molting. Only that he had used his new house I put in there. Just so it's clear, he never uses his enclosures, he sits in the open in random spots every few days he switches up. I only noticed that they were in there when I fed him a hornworm the other day and used the light on my camera to let the boys see him better.

Thank you and I appreciate any feed back!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A Tarantula will always fully molt. How big is he? And I'm assuming you know it's a he? Chances are he went into his hide to molt and only pushed out 2 legs of the old exo. It can't mold so don't disturb to get the rest out but it will all be there

RannyMama

A Tarantula will always fully molt. How big is he? And I'm assuming you know it's a he? Chances are he went into his hide to molt and only pushed out 2 legs of the old exo. It can't mold so don't disturb to get the rest out but it will all be there

I may have to post pics but his abdomen alone is over an inch long. I only say "him" because the person that gave him to me refered to it as him but he never checked a molt for exact gender. He had him for 2 years after his original owner passed away. Also the enclosure that I put in his tank is open enough for me to see completely into the home. There is, however, another home in there and maybe he snuck in there first? That one I will have to remove to see inside.

RannyMama

Now that I see in better light, it could be possible that its 2 pieces of the same leg. Not sure and sorry about the water marks on the glass I used plain water when I wiped out his tank the other day lol

Attachments

• 20200923_205904.jpg
    20200923_205904.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200923_205811.jpg
    20200923_205811.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200923_205839.jpg
    20200923_205839.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't want to ruin your day. And it probably won't because I prefer them but your Rosea is a Brachypelma Emilia.

Other than that I'd say the molt is there somewhere. Possible that it's unidentifiable as some Ts do love to destroy them. I wouldn't worry to much thou.

RannyMama

Don't want to ruin your day. And it probably won't because I prefer them but your Rosea is a Brachypelma Emilia.

Other than that I'd say the molt is there somewhere. Possible that it's unidentifiable as some Ts do love to destroy them. I wouldn't worry to much thou.

No way! That's awesome to know exactly what it is honestly lol Thank you so much for your time.. it helps and I'm at ease for now

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad your at ease. If you have any other queries or you find yourself looking to get more feel free to ask anything on here. People here have experiences with all species so no matter what it is I'm sure someone's had it happen

Latest posts