• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula dancing

JDK

I don't know how else to describe it. She is 15 years old. She recently moulted and since then has started dancing on the substrate in her pen. I thought she might be digging or just moving it around but the best can i describe it is fluffing up the surface with all eight legs moving quickly but not really disturbing the surface much. Almost like a dance.

Has anyone else seen this? She has never done this before. I've heard of happy dances. Is this a thing?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know how else to describe it. She is 15 years old. She recently moulted and since then has started dancing on the substrate in her pen. I thought she might be digging or just moving it around but the best can i describe it is fluffing up the surface with all eight legs moving quickly but not really disturbing the surface much. Almost like a dance.

Has anyone else seen this? She has never done this before. I've heard of happy dances. Is this a thing?

Happy dances usually occur while they are eating. After they catch their prey, they move around slowly in circles and pick their legs up a little while their bodies sort of "wobble". They also lay web while they're doing this....usually a way to try and catch more prey.