• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Books

SingaporeBlue

Hi there, i'm quite new to learning more about this hobby and i know that the internet, though helpful, can be a very broad and opinionative place. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any books about Tarantulas or Tarantula husbandry? I have 1 book titled "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" Revised Addition by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz. Any recommendations?

SingaporeBlue

I have a couple of copies of the tarantula keepers guide & the updated version dates from 2009 so 12 years ago & some information in there is outdated.
Hi there :), no worries, im aware that some of the information is outdated as i've been told and researched about. Im aware of a few of the pieces of information that is outdated but i'm not to sure if there are any others im not aware of. In any case so far its been a quite insightful and interesting read, but i will make sure to double check pieces of info that are in the book :) If there are any more up-to-date books that anyone knows that would be amazing! :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry, I am not a big fan of T books--outdated and occasionally debunked information. If you want to learn about Ts, browse this site, AB, and most importantly, see Tom Moran videos. His husbandry videos are spot on. He is also an eloquent spokesman for the hobby. You can always ask him a question here: @Tomoran .

SingaporeBlue

Sorry, I am not a big fan of T books--outdated and occasionally debunked information. If you want to learn about Ts, browse this site, AB, and most importantly, see Tom Moran videos. His husbandry videos are spot on. He is also an eloquent spokesman for the hobby. You can always ask him a question here: @Tomoran .
Hi, yeah i can see why you wouldn't be a fan of tarantula books :/ it's a shame that there isn't really an up-to-date one, it's just nice to have something physical i guess. I will certainly have a look at that site and look at some of Tom's videos :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Charlotte's web is a good book on spiders...
61+3z1o4oUL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The tarantula keepers guide that you have is a good starting point, it's a little out of date but still has some good info in it as well as about 7 or 8 of my photos. The biology of spiders as previously mentioned is a great book but be sure to get the third edition as it has more info specific to tarantulas added to it.
I'd also recommend Tarantulas: Breeding Experience & Wildlife by Cleton, Sigwalt and Verdez. This covers everything from habitats in the wild, basic husbandry, morphology, diseases & treatments, breeding and a lot of species specific info. A fantastic book IMO.

SingaporeBlue

The tarantula keepers guide that you have is a good starting point, it's a little out of date but still has some good info in it as well as about 7 or 8 of my photos. The biology of spiders as previously mentioned is a great book but be sure to get the third edition as it has more info specific to tarantulas added to it.
I'd also recommend Tarantulas: Breeding Experience & Wildlife by Cleton, Sigwalt and Verdez. This covers everything from habitats in the wild, basic husbandry, morphology, diseases & treatments, breeding and a lot of species specific info. A fantastic book IMO.
I will check those out, thank you :)

TokeHound

I like to watch YouTube for updated info about Tarantulas. It's free, don't have a physical copy so you'll never lose it and it'll never get damaged AND..... it's up to date :) Tom Moran (Tom's Big Spiders), Richard (The Tarantula Collective), and Dave's Little Beasties

SingaporeBlue

I like to watch YouTube for updated info about Tarantulas. It's free, don't have a physical copy so you'll never lose it and it'll never get damaged AND..... it's up to date :) Tom Moran (Tom's Big Spiders), Richard (The Tarantula Collective), and Dave's Little Beasties
tbh that's probably the smartest thing to do lol, i quite like the tarantula collective, saw his most recent video about arachnology which is really interesting.