• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula bites

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hey guys! You could say this a morbid curiosity but I also just want to be prepared just in case and know what to expect. I have two tarantulas right now, a mexican fire-leg I've had for around 4 years and a mexican red knee who I've had for about 3 years and I haven't been bitten once or really expect to but I always do take care when handling them just in case because it's certainly possible and even though there's only about a 1% chance he would, my somewhat cranky fire leg is more likely to do it than my red knee. I know that bites are similar to bee stings and aren't dangerous unless you're allergic and I've been stung by enough wasps to know I'm not but at the same time I'd like to get an idea of a bite so I can treat it better on the very slim chance it actually happens, especially since I wouldn't mind keeping other species in the future. I've searched google images for pictures of tarantula bites and found practically nothing except for some uninformed gore filled pictures of bites that clearly weren't the work of tarantulas and probably in reality were actually brown recluse or even rattlesnake bites. Can anybody show me what an actual genuine tarantula bite looks like? Does anybody have a picture? In particular the later stages after the it stops bleeding? Do they usually bleed?

Tnoob

Hey guys! You could say this a morbid curiosity but I also just want to be prepared just in case and know what to expect. I have two tarantulas right now, a mexican fire-leg I've had for around 4 years and a mexican red knee who I've had for about 3 years and I haven't been bitten once or really expect to but I always do take care when handling them just in case because it's certainly possible and even though there's only about a 1% chance he would, my somewhat cranky fire leg is more likely to do it than my red knee. I know that bites are similar to bee stings and aren't dangerous unless you're allergic and I've been stung by enough wasps to know I'm not but at the same time I'd like to get an idea of a bite so I can treat it better on the very slim chance it actually happens, especially since I wouldn't mind keeping other species in the future. I've searched google images for pictures of tarantula bites and found practically nothing except for some uninformed gore filled pictures of bites that clearly weren't the work of tarantulas and probably in reality were actually brown recluse or even rattlesnake bites. Can anybody show me what an actual genuine tarantula bite looks like? Does anybody have a picture? In particular the later stages after the it stops bleeding? Do they usually bleed?
Just stick your hand in there and piss it off. Make sure you're recording, and have plenty of scotch on hand. Bonus points if you can come up with your own patty cake song.

nedaK

Your boehmis not gonna bite. Unless it acts like my E murinus, you’ll have no issues.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Your boehmis not gonna bite. Unless it acts like my E murinus, you’ll have no issues.

I figured as much. He's really more of a hair kicker when he's in a bad mood. He seems happier when I'm around as of late though so I'll take that as a good sign. I love your murinus too! Beautiful!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We can only assume he was doing it for science and the advancement of our understanding. If he wasn’t then he’s just a twat.
@Shampain are you a twat???

Yes...he did do it for what you would call a science project. So everyone would know that the pain is real. Man with giant balls...yes, A twat...no.
:beer::beer::beer:

MrKrowe

@Shampain are you a twat???

Yes...he did do it for what you would call a science project. So everyone would know that the pain is real. Man with giant balls...yes, A twat...no.
:beer::beer::beer:

I’m under the assumption that my sarcastic tone was either ignored or misunderstood. Only an idiot would release that footage without context if it was in any way scientific. That is a twat antagonising a spider. All of us can do without that publicity. Being hit by a care is painful, can @Shampain please prove that one next?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m under the assumption that my sarcastic tone was either ignored or misunderstood. Only an idiot would release that footage without context if it was in any way scientific. That is a twat antagonising a spider. All of us can do without that publicity. Being hit by a care is painful, can @Shampain please prove that one next?
That's not the original video for one...its a viral copy with no descriptions. The original is much better. I think @Shampain is the only one with that.

Latest posts