• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T.Stirmi Rehouse

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I just had to re-house my new stirmi because she wouldn't stop messin' with the screen top. I think the screen covers on the vents might become a problem for your stirmi. See if they offer something other than metal screen for that.

And if your current tank has an open screened top, you are currently getting more ventilation than the new one would offer.

BearFatEnsemble

What’s the best way to heat an acrylic enclosure. I’ve been using a 6x8 zoo med UTH to keep it at 80 degrees. I’ve heard that size is okay to use on acrylic.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can cross ventilate a fish tank. If you use a small heating pad on the side at a safe temperature, you can use heat to move air. Place plastic over the entire cage except for the very ends. Heat will rise and pull in air on the cold side.

Here's how I did mine & my T stirmi is thriving.

Again, less is more & the entire inside MUST be of a safe temperature. A voltage controller is practically mandatory. The heat source must be to the side or above the T outside of the cage etc.

This was the first version of her (not his) cage before I got all the frog moss inside. This tarantula was an impulse buy from a pet store keeping her in horrific conditions. She's since molted into an impressive regal beast, hissy fits and all.

Mini me cage moss 1.jpg

Hopefully it'll be just as beautiful as it is functional.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Trying to get my sub adult T.Stirmi out of a fish tank into something that has cross ventilation. What do you guys think of this one? http://reptile-enclosure.com/3-mm-7

One other thing. I've heard reports of some tarantulas being able to chew through some of the more flimsy vents.

The reptile acrylic enclosure looks nice and has a nice price, but the vents could be upgraded.

You can go to http://www.roundvents.com to find something more sturdy, harder to chew through.