• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Albo

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
So I have a curly that I picked up recently, seems to have settled in its enclosure nicely, by that I mean it dug a burrow behind the cork round that was intended to be its hide. I was just wondering if there were any tricks to encourage her to spend more time out and about? Since completing the burrow I've not seen her come out at all. Arrow is the burrow. Yellow circle is the hude that is apparently not good enough lol. That was the last time I saw her

Attachments

• 20200316_165037.jpg
    20200316_165037.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tliltocatl albopilosum are the great diggers of the T world. As slings they will change their burrows constantly but if you're lucky their burrow will open at the side of the container so you can watch it busy at the bottom. Latter, as they get bigger they will spend all their time,, or most of it, on the surface.

E

ExMember

My first tarantula Dozer (T albo) has used his tunnels the whole time I have had him. Crazy excavator and what @Enn49 said is true. Those tunnels would be drastically different from day to day. Well yesterday he flattened everything and built a tiny burrow under his water dish (and spilled half of it everywhere). He may have molted down there but is finally starting to show some bad hair day! I am guessing as he is probably 2.5 to 3" now he will spend his time up top. So proud lol! :)

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Leela is about 3.5" . I'm guessing part of why she's staying in the burrow so much is, she's relatively new to the house and so she's not used to my 4 yr old daughter running arou6and all the vibrations that makes.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
She ate a 1"dubia before her rehousing so I know she'll be fine for awhile. Patience just isn't my strong suit. . I guess I will have to learn . Haha

E

ExMember

Dozer once dissapeared into his tunnels for months. The tunnels even completely collapsed! Then the day I was gonna dig him up his tunnels were 4 times bigger. My guess is that he double moulted cause he went in at maybe 1/2" and came out almost 2". Scared the crap out of me! I was pretty much a newb and thought he was a goner!

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Th
Dozer once dissapeared into his tunnels for months. The tunnels even completely collapsed! Then the day I was gonna dig him up his tunnels were 4 times bigger. My guess is that he double moulted cause he went in at maybe 1/2" and came out almost 2". Scared the crap out of me! I was pretty much a newb and thought he was a goner!
I'm pretty new to the hobby, so everything is a combination of interesting, and nerve racking for me haha. I'm constantly reminding myself that the t is just doing its thing

E

ExMember

Th

I'm pretty new to the hobby, so everything is a combination of interesting, and nerve racking for me haha. I'm constantly reminding myself that the t is just doing its thing
Yep...I had to learn how to detach from the care aspect. I still love all my spiders but you can't help them like a dog or cat. Or even a hamster or lizard. So in a way I had to learn to care less so to speak.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Yep...I had to learn how to detach from the care aspect. I still love all my spiders but you can't help them like a dog or cat. Or even a hamster or lizard. So in a way I had to learn to care less so to speak.
I can see what you're saying. You dont like them any less. They just dont benefit from our meddling like dogs and cats. So to speak

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I'd like to thank everyone for their answers, and for being nice about it, even if they may disagree with whatever the thread is. I'm finding this isn't the case on some other forums I've joined. This place has been great so far

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Leela took 2 Dubias tonight. Turns out I just had to stick the tongs down in her burrow a little bit with the roaches. She was quick to show herself then and took both in short order. I was hoping to be able to lure her out with them and catch a peek at her. But she was too quick. I'll be more prepared next time

E

ExMember

Leela took 2 Dubias tonight. Turns out I just had to stick the tongs down in her burrow a little bit with the roaches. She was quick to show herself then and took both in short order. I was hoping to be able to lure her out with them and catch a peek at her. But she was too quick. I'll be more prepared next time
Good to hear!

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Leela is still living the fossorial life style, I took part of the background off the outside of her enclosure so I can sneak a peak in her burrow thru the glass. She has recently closed off the opening of the burrow so I'm hoping for a molt soon

Latest posts