• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Synced Molting????

ladymarcelene

Because of COVID and quarantine, I recently moved in with my boyfriend and brought my p. metallica and a. seemanni with me. He has four spiders of his own so it’s been great having them all together. I have no idea if it’s coincidence or not, but 5 out of 6 of our spiders have molted in the past TWO WEEKS, some not even showing signs of premolt until within that two weeks. None of his spiders have molted in at least a year while my p. metallica sling molted in January. The only one who hasn’t molted yet is my a. seemanni and she’s been in premolt since the middle of February (another topic i’d love advice on, ive been worried about her!) Anyone know if “syncing up” is a common thing in tarantulas, or if we’re just having some crazy good luck?

Soulman

Because of COVID and quarantine, I recently moved in with my boyfriend and brought my p. metallica and a. seemanni with me. He has four spiders of his own so it’s been great having them all together. I have no idea if it’s coincidence or not, but 5 out of 6 of our spiders have molted in the past TWO WEEKS, some not even showing signs of premolt until within that two weeks. None of his spiders have molted in at least a year while my p. metallica sling molted in January. The only one who hasn’t molted yet is my a. seemanni and she’s been in premolt since the middle of February (another topic i’d love advice on, ive been worried about her!) Anyone know if “syncing up” is a common thing in tarantulas, or if we’re just having some crazy good luck?
Just good luck

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Congratulations on your move and those moults!

Personally I think it maybe due to the fact that spring is in the air! I notice that my t's all moulted in rapid succession at the start of winter and now things are warming up, most of them are at it again. Also rehouses, changes of location are noticed by tarantulas and seem to bring on the moult they were already preparing for.

What is concerning you about your A. seemani's premoult? Some species do go off food and stay burrowed for many weeks even months when in premoult. Even as slings! I don't keep this species but there are plenty on the forum that do, that can answer specifics.

-19-

My first two slings went into pre-moult within about two weeks of arriving. (late February/very early March).

The T. albo sling finally molted last night (huzzah!) and the B. hamorii looks like it's going to moult any second now.

But 4 out of 5 of my slings sealed off their burrows within days of arriving here. I assume they're getting ready to follow suit. (Welll......maybe 3 of them. One has no visible burrow and there's also no visible tarantula. If it's not in pre-molt then it either died or skipped town.)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To touch on the seemanni premolt and fasting are two different things. Just because it hasn't eaten doesn't mean premolt. I have 6 seemanni females. I see lots of crazy things with these girls. Fasting for over a year and eating again to go back into fasting is common. My oldest seemanni hasn't molted in 4 years. Shes been in and out of fasting for ever...not eating for spells of 6 months or more. This species truly tests new keepers patience.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Molting is nothing like women's menstrual cycles (@Phil should have alot of experience with this) :D :D . They dont sync up on the same molt cycle. They molt when their growth cycle is ready.

That's funny!
@Phil of course, 4 daughters! Talk about challenging times. You poor, poor man. I feel really sorry for you lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's funny!
@Phil of course, 4 daughters! Talk about challenging times. You poor, poor man. I feel really sorry for you lol
I wouldn't have it any other way. I love with every breath in me. My bank account doesn't agree with me though. ha ha

Plus....I can honestly say I am alpha male in my household. ;)

@Arachnoclown ...that made me LOL If they did synchronise how much easier would it be to sex them? ha ha

augiemolly

Congratulations on your move and those moults!

Personally I think it maybe due to the fact that spring is in the air! I notice that my t's all moulted in rapid succession at the start of winter and now things are warming up, most of them are at it again. Also rehouses, changes of location are noticed by tarantulas and seem to bring on the moult they were already preparing for.

What is concerning you about your A. seemani's premoult? Some species do go off food and stay burrowed for many weeks even months when in premoult. Even as slings! I don't keep this species but there are plenty on the forum that do, that can answer specifics.
I dont'T have a Gooty but I do have a Raj blue dwarf. IMO they want to kill us. Kill us all everyone. And my dwarf is little, just a little *****. She is a joy to own but being careful is part of the program. Carefully keep her moist and keep her fed and hope for the best.

Latest posts