• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suspended water dish for a. avic?

Jacqueline King

Hi, I'm an insect enthusiast/owner who is new to owning a tarantula. I've read different things about ensuring the hydration of my avic. The breeder said they would get almost all of their hydration from their prey and not to worry about a water dish, but that doesn't seem right. Some people have said a shallow dish on the bottom of the enclosure will suffice and others have said that attaching a shallow dish to the cork bark is the way to go since they're arboreal. Anyone willing to share their thoughts?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd always recommend giving a dish if the enclosure has space for one. I notice Ts drinking all the time and for something so easy to give it's a silly reason to lose a T to.
I prefer to elevate waterdishes in arboreal enclosures by gluing them to the side but it's to make it easier for me to fill and replace rather than the T caring. If it was on the ground they would go down and drink from it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Arboreal tarantulas will come to the ground to drink and hunt. How many elevated water dishes have been found in the wild? I once tried the "elevated" water dish and found that evaporation happened 2-3 times faster verses one on the ground. The most important thing is to have one for them to drink from.
Photos of arboreals drinking on the ground...
20191219_204108.jpg
20190528_202351.jpg
20190303_182202.jpg
20170720_030531.jpg

Nunua

3 Year Member
If you're able to elevate the dish firmly without no possibilities it to drop, you can do it. But it really isn't necessary :)

Here's my C. versicolor drinking from a dish that's on the ground.
3df7850006.png

Jacqueline King

Thanks all!! I decided to try both a dish attached to her bark and a dish on the ground, just to see what she prefers. I really appreciate all the input ( :
0216201926.jpg
0216201926a.jpg
0216201925a.jpg

The last picture is her in her favorite corner by the heating mat (I only have one because I live in a really cold area and my apartment isn't very well insulated)

Arboreal tarantulas will come to the ground to drink and hunt. How many elevated water dishes have been found in the wild? I once tried the "elevated" water dish and found that evaporation happened 2-3 times faster verses one on the ground. The most important thing is to have one for them to drink from.
Photos of arboreals drinking on the ground...View attachment 43552View attachment 43553View attachment 43554View attachment 43555
I caught mine like that for the first time and sent out a pic for help what's wrong with my tarantula

Attachments

• 20200126_213103.jpg
    20200126_213103.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts