• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Superworms as main food for Ts?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
No, not all tarantulas can eat just super worms. You can’t get many old world tarantulas to take them. @PanzoN88 doesnt have many old worlds at all. Pre killing them is not always a option for lager Ts. Tossing them in to a pet hole old world they will bury themselves and you won’t know if they ate it or not. And if your spider is young you increase the risk for it to be killed. Large terrestrial spiders like T. stirmi need a larger meal then a little worm. Roaches would be a better safer feeder for old world spiders.

Silly

No, not all tarantulas can eat just super worms. You can’t get many old world tarantulas to take them. @PanzoN88 doesnt have many old worlds at all. Pre killing them is not always a option for lager Ts. Tossing them in to a pet hole old world they will bury themselves and you won’t know if they ate it or not. And if your spider is young you increase the risk for it to be killed. Large terrestrial spiders like T. stirmi need a larger meal then a little worm. Roaches would be a better safer feeder for old world spiders.
Hi Hemolymph! :)

Nunua

3 Year Member
@Hemolymph has a point what I did not think through. Big spiders like T. stirmi would need bigger prey than just superworms - Mouse pinkies, large roaches and occasional hornworms should do.
For old world burrowers, I guess the time will show. If you get to lure them out to snatch the worm or crush their head and leave next to the burrow entrance, you'll learn if your Ts do accept them or not.
But otherwise I see no problem in starting with superworms and mealworms and observing if they work with individual Ts or not.

Silly

So far i been feeding my geniculata 2 inch female large superworms and she loves it.

I have 2. 1 inch slings, obt and lividum. I been cutting the superworm in small peices and they eat it also. I hpe this continues because if not, ill be getting a roach colony also. Lol..

I hate roaches!!!

Silly

@Hemolymph has a point what I did not think through. Big spiders like T. stirmi would need bigger prey than just superworms - Mouse pinkies, large roaches and occasional hornworms should do.
For old world burrowers, I guess the time will show. If you get to lure them out to snatch the worm or crush their head and leave next to the burrow entrance, you'll learn if your Ts do accept them or not.
But otherwise I see no problem in starting with superworms and mealworms and observing if they work with individual Ts or not.
Feeding a mouse pinkie to a grown geniculata should be fun. :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@PanzoN88 doesnt have many old worlds at all.
Rectifying that soon. Got my eyes on a few more OWs now.

@Silly If you do decide to feed off pinkies to a tarantula, I would only feed frozen thawed because the chances are that a live mouse isn't going to go down without doing a little damage of its own.

Last edited:

Silly

@Silly If you do decide to feed off pinkies to a tarantula, I would only feed frozen thawed because the chances are that a live mouse isn't going to go down without doing a little damage of its own.

Ok Panzo, advise took! That will be later on anyways because my girl geniculata is only about 2.5 inches. :)

HEHE.

Im happy they all like superworms right now because im about to have alot! I have 2 fish tackle boxes with 24 spaces each = 48 superworms right now turning into beetles... HAHA...

E

ExMember

Maybe my spiders are weird but they all eat prekilled. Slings juvies and adults. Haven't tried Morio worms yet. But next feeding should be interesting as I got some freeze dried dubia roaches to try. Our stupid laws in Canada say it's illegal to keep roaches but fine to hatch giant asian mantis and release them in my yard!:eek:o_O

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
my Ts love superworms, but i like to mix it and give them crickets. is any one feeding hissing roaches havent heard much of the hissing roaches?
I feed my spiders hissers. So does @Arachnoclown , I know this cause I buy them for him. ;)
Anyways their shells are really hard so you only want to feed them to large adult or big juvenile spiders.
P.S. if you have a soft heart don’t bother with them. They hiss a horrible death so you may not want to listen.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member

Lol I remember reading your thread a while back and you had the opposite collection of mine. I have all old world ,scorpions and pedes. I only own one new world, Psalmopeus irminia.

Nunua

3 Year Member
But next feeding should be interesting as I got some freeze dried dubia roaches to try.

I'm not sure if freeze dried insects are good for tarantula as they don't chew their food but use their sucking stomach to suck the liquids. Yes, their venom will probably liquidize the remains of freeze dried feeder, but the overall nutritional value if probably greatly smaller than with fresh ones.

E

ExMember

I'm not sure if freeze dried insects are good for tarantula as they don't chew their food but use their sucking stomach to suck the liquids. Yes, their venom will probably liquidize the remains of freeze dried feeder, but the overall nutritional value if probably greatly smaller than with fresh ones.

Too bad I can't get fresh ones. I wouldn't make it a staple. Way too expensive lol!

Silly

Hemolymph, i took your first advise to me on the old thread and bought me a H MAC! Super cool T. Got it from FearnotTs.. Cant wait to get it. That will make 7 Ts now! THANKSSSS

Colorado Ts

Can i feed my Ts mainly Superworms? I just started breeding them.
Super worms have strong jaws and can do damage or even kill a Tarantula if they get hold of it. If feeding super worms, crush the heads of the worm before feeding, it will still wriggle and initiate a feeding response, but the fear of injury or death to the spider is greatly reduced.

Latest posts