• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunlight

jtrux

3 Year Member
As long as she has a hide to retreat to and as long as the temp of the enclosure isn't creeping up to dangerous levels I don't see an issue with it. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in with some info.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I gotta disagree with Jtrux here. In regards to tarantulas, light is a bad thing. Tarantulas are cold blooded, and in effect can not regulate their body temp. If left in the sun it is possible that they overheat simply because they don't realize it's happening. Get your T out of the sun asap.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas will always go towards heat sources, even when it's detrimental. If you have your T. in a room that is sunny, it's fine as long as it's not in direct sunlight...definitely move your spider if it's in direct line of the sun!

tonytony

3 Year Member
We have a curly haired T and a Chevron, heat mats arent in place so we placed the tanks outside in average temp of around 15-20'c temp.. does anyone know the healthiest time to leave them in the sun without causing distress to the T's?
Ta, T

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
Depends if it is direct sunlight or not, if it is the kind of light that is clearly warm e.g. on a sunny day I'd recommend putting a book on one side of the enclosure (I do this), but if you can barely feel it you should be fine. If you're in the US chances are you will want to keep it out of direct sunlight at all times. (here in the UK we rarely feel the sun emitting heat XD)

l.poehling

3 Year Member
My Rose Hair Gets afternoon sun, Diffused by a curtain. She does not stay in the sun for long periods. She retreats to her hide
or her moss hut. But she does come out every day to sun.
Now, our Choco Golden does not, he just comes out when it is warm in the living room, other wise he stays in his hide.