• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate Levels.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,
I don't really want to step on any toes, But I've been looking at a lot of the pictures one here, and It seems that many of you have the minimul amount of substrate for terrestrial Tarantulas. This is a Big mistake. I've seen many tarantulas die from a fall of 10" or less. I just want to strongly suggest More substrate. I like to leave the size of my spider in space between the top of the enclosure and the substrate. For example. this is my 5" emilia's tank.
highlevsub001.jpg

Terrestrial Tarantulas will climb, and they can fall. Substrate height could be the dfference in whether your Spider survives or not.

-K

donna

3 Year Member
i will mention this to the hubby,although i have to admit, i never saw a viv with that much 'soil' but i understand what your saying. my red rump has it deep but not that deep, cos it likes to burrow. my chillian isnt a climber but my fireleg likes to sit up high. i will post some encloser pics tomorrow

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't suggest it strongly enough. another option is putting your T in a enclosure with less height. But for an aquarium I feel it's the only way to go. If for no other reason; it can't hurt your T , might just save your T.
looking forward to your pics.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
It will also give them the option to really burrow in if they want!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use peat moss, and the dampness all depends on the Species. For the emilia in the pic I keep it pretty dry.
If I were housing a Robustum, or Blondi, or anything else that requires High humidity (Don't use a Tank) I heavily spray 1/4 of the enclosure, and very lightly spray the rest.

MCARBO

3 Year Member
I added the rest of the substrate I had.
She now almost has access to the screen lid, which makes me nervous.
Before, when the ground was lower, she had no chance in climbing the glass that high, and now she has been getting up on top of the plants, hide, and water dish and doing her damndest to reach the ceiling... She was balancing with one foot on the ground, other legs at the glass!
Is it not more dangerous for her with higher ground, to get to the screen, and climb along and possibly fall, or get a leg hooked?
(Am I being overprotective?)

Attachments

• photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 137

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They'll climb early on, but settle in quickly. In no way is this more dangerous. I would personally go higher with the sub.

spider62

3 Year Member
A good idea and i could see the burrowing aspects of more subsrate. I've been relying on housing and substrate with decent results.

Latest posts