• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate depth?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hello all, I’m used to keeping my Ts in glass terrariums but I want some small plastic terrariums to bring a few juvs on.
I like the exoterra breeding boxes but they are not quite 6” high, I wouldn’t keep tunnellers like emilia or albopilosum but even so I don’t suppose it would allow more than a few inches of soil and most like to have a play around and dig a burrow, so even with a juv that’s not quite sufficient?
The alternative is the other exoterra boxes that are higher but don’t have a few of the things I want from them.
Thanks

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some keep species like B. albopilosum in sterilite bins which aren't that deep, yet they work just fine, so those breeding boxes should work.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Some keep species like B. albopilosum in sterilite bins which aren't that deep, yet they work just fine, so those breeding boxes should work.
Thank you, Its nice to see them dig just because it’s a natural behaviour but the inhabitants will be pretty small so I’m glad you think they will be o.k. I like the look of them with the side feeding hatch, and you can stack which is handy as I’m running out of room! Thank you!
These are the ones.
130BA291-F760-4189-8A40-FE10965905FE.jpeg

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks @Arachnoclown that’s great, oh seriously nice photos of the shelf, they look very smart and presentable too.
I love the lids and the feeding hatch and the stackability of them, I love to see what my babies are doing and one on my big pleasures is looking at them and visibility is one of the most important reasons for me looking at these, I like that they are clear plastic as opposed to other exoterra boxes that has a nasty yellow tint even when new.
I’m sold on these then.
I bought Komodo version and the lids were a nightmare, I sent the whole lot back!
There’s one bad note to this, it means I can become a hardcore tarantula hoarder now! :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Arachnoclown that’s great, oh seriously nice photos of the shelf, they look very smart and presentable too.
I love the lids and the feeding hatch and the stackability of them, I love to see what my babies are doing and one on my big pleasures is looking at them and visibility is one of the most important reasons for me looking at these, I like that they are clear plastic as opposed to other exoterra boxes that has a nasty yellow tint even when new.
I’m sold on these then.
I bought Komodo version and the lids were a nightmare, I sent the whole lot back!
There’s one bad note to this, it means I can become a hardcore tarantula hoarder now! :)
Bad note? That's a good note.