• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

US Stripped Knee and Curly Hair ~ 5 inches

49ers

I have a Aphonopelma seemanni - stripped knee (unsexed) and Tliltocatl albopilosus - curly Hair (female) for sale
$60 each or $100 for both!

I'm in Virginia

Attachments

• 107005168_312300616467661_898229404561707861_n.jpg
    107005168_312300616467661_898229404561707861_n.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 106782424_603605930559056_349554215002749013_n.jpg
    106782424_603605930559056_349554215002749013_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 53

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is a Lasiodora parahybana. Not an A. seemani. I know sometimes this happens when things are sold to you as a certain species or traded as such, etc. It's better to know the species true identity to better simulate that species natural environment, for breeding purposes, etc. :) Beautiful specimens you have and good luck with sales! :) How big is the L. parahybana?

49ers

That is a Lasiodora parahybana. Not an A. seemani. I know sometimes this happens when things are sold to you as a certain species or traded as such, etc. It's better to know the species true identity to better simulate that species natural environment, for breeding purposes, etc. :) Beautiful specimens you have and good luck with sales! :) How big is the L. parahybana?
He or she is around 5 inches:)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How can you tell if it's a curly hair x seemanni hybrid?

Good question but not possible. It could be a curly hair crossed with another brachypelma (before the revision) but curly hair are known as Tliltocatl albopilosus now, instead of Brachypelma albopilosum. The Tliltocatl cannot be cross bred with a different genus (Aphonopelma seemani) but can be paired with a different species of the same genus. That's what we call a "hybrid".

Example:

Genus: Tliltocatl
Aphonopelma

Those are the two different "genus". Under each genus, you have a "species" name. These are the species names below.

Species: albopilosus
seemani

That gives you T. albopilosus and A. seemani. The first name in the scientific name is always your genus name. The second name is always your species name.

Two different "genus" cannot be paired or procreate but 2 different "species" under the same genus can.

Example: T. vagans and T. albopilosus
They are two different species under the same genus and can procreate.

The only thing is that there have been so many taxonomic revisions on so many species that it could be a possibility that the same species can be paired with another that has had a name change.

That's why it's always best to do your research. :)

Last edited:

49ers

Good question but not possible. It could be a curly hair crossed with another brachypelma (before the revision) but curly hair are known as Tliltocatl albopilosus now, instead of Brachypelma albopilosum. The Tliltocatl cannot be cross bred with a different genus (Aphonopelma seemani) but can be paired with a different species of the same genus. That's what we call a "hybrid".

Example:

Genus: Tliltocatl
Aphonopelma

Those are the two different "genus". Under each genus, you have a "species" name. These are the species names below.

Species: albopilosus
seemani

That gives you T. albopilosus and A. seemani. The first name in the scientific name is always your genus name. The second name is always your species name.

Two different "genus" cannot be paired or procreate but 2 different "species" under the same genus can.

Example: T. vagans and T. albopilosus
They are two different species under the same genus and can procreate.

The only thing is that there have been so many taxonomic revisions on so many species that it could be a possibility that the same species can be paired with another that has had a name change.

That's why it's always best to do your research. :)

So what do you think the first photo is?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So what do you think the first photo is?

Not sure. The stripes are prominent on the knees, though....not something you usually see on curly hair tarantulas. I mean, they are there if you look close but they aren't that prominent. It looks like a hybrid to me but I'd have to do more research to say for sure.

Latest posts