• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strategy for feeder colonies.

CritterKeeper79

Thinking of starting a dubia colony. I have 16 tarantulas of various sizes. I really don’t want to use heat mats or anything. My garage stays above 80 degrees most of the summer. If I get say 50-100 dubia and leave them in the garage for the warm months, they’ll breed enough to support my tarantulas through the winter? Of course I’d bring the dubia in during the cold months. Do you think this is a good strategy. Also if the numbers get out of hand, I have friends with reptiles and one with a few tarantulas that could help me thin them.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thinking of starting a dubia colony. I have 16 tarantulas of various sizes. I really don’t want to use heat mats or anything. My garage stays above 80 degrees most of the summer. If I get say 50-100 dubia and leave them in the garage for the warm months, they’ll breed enough to support my tarantulas through the winter? Of course I’d bring the dubia in during the cold months. Do you think this is a good strategy. Also if the numbers get out of hand, I have friends with reptiles and one with a few tarantulas that could help me thin them.
Hi,
It is always a good idea to start a colony but dubias do not have the fastest growth and reproduction rate although they are (at least to me) much easier to deal with than other roaches. I would consider to up the number you would need to start with.

CritterKeeper79

Hi,
It is always a good idea to start a colony but dubias do not have the fastest growth and reproduction rate although they are (at least to me) much easier to deal with than other roaches. I would consider to up the number you would need to start with.
So maybe 500 would be a good start?

CritterKeeper79

The set up
15A1F5EB-61F6-46EB-9B94-635761A45484.jpeg
54CE23BB-C909-4FED-8534-C8C10D742C88.jpeg
Side note, I found these in the jewelry department at Walmart. I thought they’d make good sling/juvenile water bowls.
1195660E-6DF3-495D-92EB-4F0CA64332CB.jpeg

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I started with 300 adults and I have 35 Ts. Once they got settled in, I have an excessive amount of overflow. Definitely nice to have them for larger Ts. Warmth, darkness, ventilation, and something to drink is all you need for a successful colony

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I'm having great luck from 73* to 80*. I keep the tub on the top of my rack. I was recently up to around 60 spiders and was feeding around 20-30 adult males per month and still couldn't keep up. I have since dropped my count down and started a relative a sizeable colony, and I still have overflow.

mschemmy

I'm having great luck from 73* to 80*. I keep the tub on the top of my rack. I was recently up to around 60 spiders and was feeding around 20-30 adult males per month and still couldn't keep up. I have since dropped my count down and started a relative a sizeable colony, and I still have overflow.
Okay thats good to know. Just starting my colony so hope it gets going soon.