• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange markings on abdomen. Advice appreciated!

Lacey

Hello all!
I’m very new to the hobby. I will try my best to explain my request for help/advise so apologies for so much waffle! And thank you in advance for taking the time to read this essay!
Since my T.stirmi’s last moult ( 4 weeks ago) I noticed a darker patch with two lighter circles on the top of her abdomen. I’m guessing it’s part of her abdomen anatomy but I can’t find any information to confirm/correct my assumption.
I bought her as a sub adult 1.5 years ago, the seller claimed she was female. I believe she is around 4 years old but the seller couldn’t remember her age. I have a 40x40x40 exoterra, clayballs, soft mesh with a mixture of potting soil, cocofibre and peat moss for substrate at about 6-7 inches. I have live Epipremnum aureum, a water dish and a large piece of dried drift wood which forms her burrow. The enclosure has springtails as I’ve had minor mould problems in the past. The room temperature is kept around 19.5-20.5C. I spray down the substrate 4-5 times a week with water. I change her water every 5-7 days and tip it into the corner of her enclosure. I’m currently feeding her one medium/large gut loaded Dubia every 10-14 days.
Her behaviour seems normal. Spends most of her time in her burrow. Has the occasional stroll when she is due a Dubia. She’s always been a ferocious eater.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Lacey.
6C9A214F-68EF-4961-A844-7ABFE0F1A490.jpeg
F3C95036-A5C1-42E7-99DB-DDC4FA9EA18F.jpeg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
To me it just looks like patches of uricating hairs and nothing to worry about...
How large is she roughly? She looks a pretty decent size to me and I would increase the amount you feed her at least double what you are giving her, just my personal opinion I'm sure others will chime in and give more advice :)

Lacey

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
To me it just looks like patches of uricating hairs and nothing to worry about...
How large is she roughly? She looks a pretty decent size to me and I would increase the amount you feed her at least double what you are giving her, just my personal opinion I'm sure others will chime in and give more advice :)
Thank you for taking the time to reply and the warm welcome.
She’s had patches before where she kicked hairs around her enclosure but these seems to be perfect little circles right on the top!
She is around 6-7 inches. I was feeding her a Dubia once a week and her abdomen was a little larger than her carapace so thought I was feeding her too much. But in retrospect it was probably just heavy premoult swelling.
Thank you for the advice I will increase her food as suggested

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for taking the time to reply and the warm welcome.
She’s had patches before where she kicked hairs around her enclosure but these seems to be perfect little circles right on the top!
She is around 6-7 inches. I was feeding her a Dubia once a week and her abdomen was a little larger than her carapace so thought I was feeding her too much. But in retrospect it was probably just heavy premoult swelling.
Thank you for the advice I will increase her food as suggested
Sometimes it looks odd but it's definitely where she has flicked the hair and now she's moulted it's showing itself as circular patches, stirmis are such heavy bodied Ts and don't worry about her abdomen being to big it certainly isn't in the pictures you've posted.. Most have an enormous booty it's typical of the genus
Of course I'm not encouraging over feeding I just felt I would mention it :)

Lacey

Sometimes it looks odd but it's definitely where she has flicked the hair and now she's moulted it's showing itself as circular patches, stirmis are such heavy bodied Ts and don't worry about her abdomen being to big it certainly isn't in the pictures you've posted.. Most have an enormous booty it's typical of the genus
Of course I'm not encouraging over feeding I just felt I would mention it :)
Thank you so much for setting my mind at ease! I adore her so much I research every tiny thing about her that I think I get super paranoid about things
Yeah her abdomen is tiny after her moult, she didn’t eat for three months while in premoult! I have some big fat Dubai’s for her

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Nice healthy looking tarantula you got there.
Spraying 4-5 times a week you say.
Here is a link for you in case you want to save yourself some work.This fuy is awesome well of information.
Regards Konstantin

Lacey

Hi
Nice healthy looking tarantula you got there.
Spraying 4-5 times a week you say.
Here is a link for you in case you want to save yourself some work.This fuy is awesome well of information.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I know Toms videos well and find him very informative without the unnecessary theatre! A great YouTuber :)

Latest posts