• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sting report- Anuroctonus P. bajae 'Baja mafia scorpion'

MBullock

3 Year Member
Unlike the parent species, of which i cannot name due to censor filter, which has extremely weak venom and relies on its size and strength, Bajae has stronger venom- akin to hadrurus in effect.

I was tagged the night i collected 6 individuals, twice. One tagged me in the palm as it sat on my hand (never had a scorp do that to me before btw WEIRD) and another tagged my finger, the effects were mild at the time, just like the parent species, however a day later, side-effects began to appear- i developed localized cellulitis and swelling at both sting sites along with itching, something I've never experienced with coastal mafia scorpions which are so impotent that a full-blown envenomation does nothing but a slight tingle.

It doesnt seem to be dangerous but may cause issues in people that tend to get cellulitis reactions from weird things. may be of interest pharmacologically as well, since these also seem to produce a great deal more anuroctoxin- I noted a slight weak feeling, as blocking the potassium channels affects the muscles slightly. thought y'all would find that interesting. I'll add a picture of the sting sites in a bit.

MBullock

3 Year Member
IMG_20210926_191613.png
IMG_20210926_191521.png

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your "sacrifice" in the name of science will be noted on your tombstone as follows:

"Here likes @MBullock who never met a sting he couldn't swing"

Thanks for sharing, compadre

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Famous final words: "I wonder what the venom feels like"
A question Coyote Peterson no longer asks, either

Free ticket to Bangladesh if you're willing to sleep in pit viper den and film it

Last edited:

MBullock

3 Year Member
A question Coyote Peterson no longer asks, either

Free ticket to Bangladesh if you're willing to sleep in pit viper den and film it
i remember one time he pretended to get stung by a tarantula hawk and used a male because the general public is dumb dont know the difference. females- curly antennae. Males- straight antennae.