• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spiderling To Female Odds?

Sergio

3 Year Member
Question? If I want a female of a certain species, how many spiderings of that species should one purchase to increase the odds of obtaining a female?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here is a related question: Does temperature in the room where the eggs incubate have anything to do with the sex ratio of the slings?

That's actually genius. Never thought about that.
In humans it's possible to manipulate the sex of a Baby through temperacture (not 100% accurately but a noticeable effect) Wonder if anyone's done the science behind this :eek:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know incubation temperature effects the sex of tortoises. and some fish,lizards turtles,crocodiles....not sure about any other species...would be interesting to find out:)
from my understanding eggs kept at a lower temperature tend to hatch male,mid range temperature female and high range temperature turn male?
but this depends on what species in particular this applys to...

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Completely different species but I tried incubating 12 chicken eggs...6 in one incubator 6 in the other....2c difference apart in temperature,,,,one batch at the cooler temperature took 2 days longer to hatch than the ones kept at the higher temperature,
but I still ended up hatching almost all males in both batches:( so my little experiment didn't work but it was worth a try:)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Completely different species but I tried incubating 12 chicken eggs...6 in one incubator 6 in the other....2c difference apart in temperature,,,,one batch at the cooler temperature took 2 days longer to hatch than the ones kept at the higher temperature,
but I still ended up hatching almost all males in both batches:( so my little experiment didn't work but it was worth a try:)

I found personally that if you incubate chicken eggs in water at close to 100 degrees c they taste amazing :D

Nunua

3 Year Member
I found personally that if you incubate chicken eggs in water at close to 100 degrees c they taste amazing :D
tenor.gif

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's actually genius. Never thought about that.
In humans it's possible to manipulate the sex of a Baby through temperacture (not 100% accurately but a noticeable effect) Wonder if anyone's done the science behind this :eek:
having been the father to 4 daughters my (ex) wife and I did all the cooling of the something that sounds like tentacles, legs in the air to to help the boy swimmers - apparently they are like the hare and girls swimmers like the tortoise - eat more red meat and do a 1,000 pushups a night to up testosterone....oh damn, that was meant to be me right? LOL
anyways, 4 pregnancies, 4 girls so guess the Tarantula Keepers guide page 119 doesn't count with humans....ha ha :D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
having been the father to 4 daughters my (ex) wife and I did all the cooling of the something that sounds like tentacles, legs in the air to to help the boy swimmers - apparently they are like the hare and girls swimmers like the tortoise - eat more red meat and do a 1,000 pushups a night to up testosterone....oh damn, that was meant to be me right? LOL
anyways, 4 pregnancies, 4 girls so guess the Tarantula Keepers guide page 119 doesn't count with humans....ha ha :D
you did the experimental phase @Phil and it didn't work LOL:D
Thanks for sharing your findings with us...all in the name of research;)