• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Species Lists

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Where does everyone go for accurate, understandable info on the ever changing species list?

I have just recently found out that the Paraphysa scrofa has been changed to Phrixotrichus scrofa.

I have also heard talk lately of the Cyclosternum fasciatum possibly being moved/changed to Cyclosternum pentalore or Davus pentalore.

I know that the World Spider Catalog http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch/ has a ton of information, but I am clueless as to how to navigate/sift through it.

Is there anywhere the basic hobbyist can go for this info?

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Sorry can't help you there, thats a tough one. I personally don't follow all that very close. I figure if a T that is called a "whatever" species has been bred and slings have been sold, and it is in the hobby, then thats what it is. There is always the chance of making a hybrid but if it's been in the hobby for years, little late to worry about it now. Changing the species now sure won't help.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And Paraphysa parvula is now Euathlus parvulus! Also, if I'm not mistaken, I also heard that the hobby form of A. brocklehursti and the true A. geniculata have been deemed variants of the same species with A. geniculata (narrow band/ wide band) being the true name for both forms and the true form of A. brocklehursti now being called A. theraphosoides. What a headache!

I try to follow the World Spider Catalog, and when something comes up in it that I'm not quite sure about, I'll Google it or check the boards to see what others are saying about these changes. Often times, folks that know a heck of a lot more about classification and taxonomy will offer their input and make it all a bit more understandable. Of course, then there are the inevitable arguments about these changes, which lead to "spirited debates" and even more fun. ;)

From what I've gathered, many of the genera are a mess (Aphonopelma and Avicularia are often mentioned), and that will be years before it's all sorted out, if ever.

Last edited:

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
It really seems like all of the info collected in years past needs to be dumped and things need to be started for scratch...almost. I never really thought about it, but this really is a hobby in it's baby stages. It will take FOREVER to work it all out and a lot of the things that make one species different from the next are positively microscopic! I can't figure out how to follow the World Spider Catalog to save my life! I guess I can just rely on all you great folks here to help keep me straight!

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Don't worry about it, just enjoy your Ts. There are plenty of other things in day to day life, much more important to worry about and get a headache. WHERE'S MY ADVIL !?!?!?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about it, just enjoy your Ts. There are plenty of other things in day to day life, much more important to worry about and get a headache. WHERE'S MY ADVIL !?!?!?

Hahahaha! I was just asking for the Advil earlier today! :)

Speaking for myself, it's part of the hobby that I find fascinating and want to keep up on. I don't refer to my Ts using their common names (drives my family nuts, as I don't know what most of the common names are!), so it's important to me that I know each specimen's correct genus and species. I always get a little thrill when a species I'm familiar with gets moved by taxonomists; call me a geek. :)

Also, keeping up on these updates makes it easier to make future purchases when I'm familiar with any recent name changes. For example, when I first acquired my Poecilotheria Vittata, it was being sold as P. pederseni. It was important for me to know that so that I didn't think I was looking at two different species (and likely buy both!).

I honestly don't stress over it, and I understand that there is still a ton of work to be done, so names will continue to change. It's an incomplete catalog at the moment, and it will likely remain that way for a looong time. Still, it's a start and it gives us all a common language with which to refer to these guys. When names change, we have the forums to report and discuss. :)

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I'm a plant biologist so I'm used to scientific name-changes all the time. It would drive me crazy not knowing exactly what species I've got lol. Luckily I don't think G. rosea is going to be re-classified any time soon.

I was picking up crickets the other day since my dubia roaches are taking forever to reach maturity, and the petstore clerk asked what I was feeding. First thing out of my mouth were the scientific names for my T's. She looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm a plant biologist so I'm used to scientific name-changes all the time. It would drive me crazy not knowing exactly what species I've got lol. Luckily I don't think G. rosea is going to be re-classified any time soon.

I was picking up crickets the other day since my dubia roaches are taking forever to reach maturity, and the petstore clerk asked what I was feeding. First thing out of my mouth were the scientific names for my T's. She looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

Exactly! Although, one of the discussions is whether G. rosea will be broken into two species...G. rosea for the RCF and G. porteri for the other larger, browner variety. Apparently, there are some physiological differences? Lord, help us... ;)

Folks get so annoyed with me when I refer to my Ts by their scientific names, but that is honestly all I know! I can just picture the expression on that clerk's face. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do tend to use scientific names on the forum but either pet names or common names to family and friends> I do like to keep my records up to date though especially my list of the venomous ones that I keep by the vivs in case of bites and hospital visits.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is the best one I have found to date:

http://www.arachnofreaks.com/info_sheets.htm

If anyone has anything better, would love to see one. Thanks.

I haven't seen that one before, and I love the pronunciation option for some. Just taking a quick glance, it seems to be missing quite a few (Euathlus, Orphanaecus, and Phlogius species are not listed, or am I missing something?) No T. stirmi or P. hanumavilasumica either, and couple of the names are outdated (P. scrofa).

Michael Jacobi's "Tarantula Bibliography" is one of the ones I use. He tends to make updates on it fairly often, too, so it at least gives you a good idea of what's currently going on with the taxonomy. Once an update is made, I usually watch the boards for the inevitable feedback and debate. :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is an awesome list! Thank you. Now, if you don't mind, feel free to add in the pronunciations to that list and we are complete. ;)

Until tomorrow when they change the taxonomy yet again o_O!!!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is an awesome list! Thank you. Now, if you don't mind, feel free to add in the pronunciations to that list and we are complete. ;)

Until tomorrow when they change the taxonomy yet again o_O!!!

I'm actually STILL playing the pronunciations on your list as I write this! Hahaha! I've been at least pronouncing most of these things correctly. ;)

Oh, change it will! :)

Latest posts