• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some awesome new additions!

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hey there guys! It's been a while since my last post here! My terrarium collection is almost complete with the exception of 3 or 4 other things I would like to get sooner or later and I would like to share with you guys the four new additions I have added to my family! The last one I showed you all was my common collared lizard, Yuma, who I got on June 15th 2018 and will be celebrating his 1 year anniversary here soon! I consider the common collared the world's most beautiful lizard in terms of color! Anyway as for the newest ones I have a vague memory of uploading some pics of my blue poison dart frog, Neptune, who I named since he's round and blue, who I got in September of 2018 but just in case I'll put up a picture of him right now. He's really beautiful and my favorite frog species!

This past November I got really lucky again when I got what I think is the second most beautiful lizard in the world after the various collared lizards. My almost 4 year search for one ended when I got a jeweled lacerta or ocellated Lizard that just so happened to randomly pop up at local Petco. I got him right away. Since they are native to Europe including Italy and much of the former Roman empire I named him Constantine but if he turns out to be a female I could rename him Minervina who was the wife of Constantine. I remember talking to some of you guys about looking for a jeweled lacerta when I introduced Yuma and you guys were telling about a major breeder who used to breed them in his backyard. I forget his last name but his first name was Bert. Anyway in these picture Constantine is a bit younger but now he's gotten significantly larger and has since turned from brown to green and still has the distinctive blue spots but much brighter.. I'll get some more pictures soon though!

Finally here's the two I got very recently less than three weeks ago. During the weekend of May 18th-20th I traveled to Nashville with my Cousin, who is also a member on this forum, for the repticon expo that was being held there and she got two gorgeous new tarantula slings. One is a Singapore blue tarantula (lampropelma violaceopes) and the second is a Brazilian red and white (nhandu chromatus) which apparently at about 10 inches, is going to get a lot bigger than she was hoping for lol. The two animals that I got were my second favorite frog after the blue poison dart frog and second most beautiful in my opinion, a black and yellow/bumblebee poison dart frog who I named Yellowjacket! I'll upload a few of him and some of him beside his brother Neptune who I hope he grows as big as eventually! Finally the last new addition is an animal I've been considering getting for a few years and I have wanted for quite a while. I'd like you to meet Cinder, a 3 year old female gray banded kingsnake! It's actually a heartwarming story with her. It was an emotional parting with the guy I got her from because this snake was really special to him and like his child but he wanted to retire and travel with his wife and he felt that would have been hard while caring for all his snakes. I'm going to make it up to him and try my best to give her a great life and send pictures!

Attachments

• Neptune.JPG
    Neptune.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Constantine.JPG
    Constantine.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Constantine 2.JPG
    Constantine 2.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 13
  • YellowJacket 1.JPG
    YellowJacket 1.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 13
  • Yellowjacket 2.JPG
    Yellowjacket 2.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Yellowjacket and Neptune 1.JPG
    Yellowjacket and Neptune 1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Yellowjacket and Neptune 2.JPG
    Yellowjacket and Neptune 2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Cinder 1.JPG
    Cinder 1.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Cinder 2.JPG
    Cinder 2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Cinder 3.JPG
    Cinder 3.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 14

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
:) You have some beautiful animals! I have dart frogs as well. My favorite still is the yellow and black bumblebee!!! :D:)

Thanks Menavodi! Totally agree! Poison dart frogs are just wonderful! I love how they aren't toxic in captivity but they still don't lose their breathtaking warning colors! :)

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Whoa, brilliant collection, are the terribilis mints waiting for food? Fantastic photo.
Really great to see Constantine, that is a lovely looking lizard and I love Cinders, never kept either myself so nice to see.
Thanks for posting.
I have sipaliwini tincs and love them. Had the blue and bumblebees too, Darts are such great fun to watch.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you. Yes terribilis mint. You are right. I love the color...they are always hungry.
Sorry, I was looking at the frogs not who posted it!LOL! ! I thought it was the OP! Oh so much frog envy now, love the patterns on the azureus @Allthingsterrarium and great to see the collection, I have chameleons and day geckos mainly.
And @menavodi thats a fantastic photo, I am so wanting terribilis! A nice sized frog. Thanks.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Sorry, I was looking at the frogs not who posted it!LOL! ! I thought it was the OP! Oh so much frog envy now, love the patterns on the azureus @Allthingsterrarium and great to see the collection, I have chameleons and day geckos mainly.
And @menavodi thats a fantastic photo, I am so wanting terribilis! A nice sized frog. Thanks.

Thanks Tabitha! I know right?! That one has always been my favorite! Eventually I might get a blue light for the dart frog tank. They'd look so cool under it! I've always wanted a giant day gecko as it's my 3rd favorite gecko after the leopard geckos and tokay geckos! You are so lucky! I also had a Jackson's chameleon who is the only one of my terrarium collection aside from some short lived mantises who isn't still with us. He was so hard to give water to and keep his habitat humid and that's why he died. His misting machine just up and quit and I couldn't keep up just by spraying.

Last edited:

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Great collection of animals you gave there @Allthingsterrarium especially the grey banded kingsnake cinders...I have 4 of them and they are nice placid snakes:)

Thanks ilovebrachys! She is incredibly gentle and doesn't mind me picking her up at all! She's also getting much more confident! She still hides most of the time but now you'll see her maybe 3/10 times you look in the tank! For the first week or so she would only come out briefly around 10:00 at night.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks Tabitha! I know right?! That one has always been my favorite! Eventually I might get a blue light for the dart frog tank. They'd look so cool under it! I've always wanted a giant day gecko as it's my 3rd favorite gecko after the leopard geckos and tokay geckos! You are so lucky! I also had a Jackson's chameleon who is the only one of my terrarium collection aside from some short lived mantises who isn't still with us. He was so hard to give water to and keep his habitat humid and that's why he died. His misting machine just up and quit and I couldn't keep up just by spraying.
Yes, chameleons require a huge amount of work and special,equipment, I have a mistking and mine get two 1 hour sessions of showering time a day.
Day geckos are great and so beautiful, display animals only but worth it.
Good luck with your collection!
I can’t find a day gecko for you so here’s my dear old panther,
Mr Jolly.
9D40D087-F83A-41E7-BFDE-B9749AF483F5.jpeg

And a sip.
3E04EB86-44FD-41AC-A25C-F9F746A40185.jpeg

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Yes, chameleons require a huge amount of work and special,equipment, I have a mistking and mine get two 1 hour sessions of showering time a day.
Day geckos are great and so beautiful, display animals only but worth it.
Good luck with your collection!
I can’t find a day gecko for you so here’s my dear old panther,
Mr Jolly.
View attachment 38060

And a sip.
View attachment 38061

I've heard great things about the mistking system! I plan to get one and then get another chameleon! I had a monsoon system. The peace of junk got the floor wet and only did its' job for a couple days before it paid no attention to the timer and sprayed nonstop and then later wouldn't turn on at all after I had it unplugged for a while because of the previous reason.

I love your panther chameleon! He is absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic name too! Your sipalwini is gorgeous too! So bright and vibrant! That's the type I'd like to add to my dart frog tank next!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Yes, Mistking are the very best, essential if you want a happy chameleon. None of the other cheaper ones come close really.
Start dropping hints to everyone now for Christmas! It’s not too early!!!
Chameleonforums is excellent for lots of caresheets by the way. There’s a lot of incorrect info around in stores and FB so their caresheets are the thing to follow.
Good luck with the froggies. They are wonderful.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Yes, Mistking are the very best, essential if you want a happy chameleon. None of the other cheaper ones come close really.
Start dropping hints to everyone now for Christmas! It’s not too early!!!
Chameleonforums is excellent for lots of caresheets by the way. There’s a lot of incorrect info around in stores and FB so their caresheets are the thing to follow.
Good luck with the froggies. They are wonderful.

That's a good idea! I plan to get one first opportunity! I especially like the fact they can handle multiple tanks.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Two updates guys! The first one is that unfortunately Yuma the common collared lizard passed away suddenly on the 5th. He had a random accident on the 5th where I found that for some inexplicable reason that had never been an issue before he tried to swallow a big clump of substrate and I guess it just got stuck halfway down. I'm sure it was very quick though. What makes it an even bigger shame and loss for the terrarium collection is that two days from now on the 15th would have been his one year anniversary of living here. I did manage to get this picture of him nice and healthy two days before on the 5th. R.I.P: Yuma.

Secondly, a much happier update! Here's a recent picture of Constantine the jeweled lacerta like I promised! Much brighter and much more colorful now!

Attachments

• Yuma 10.JPG
    Yuma 10.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Constantine 4.JPG
    Constantine 4.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts